Old November 7th 04, 12:01 AM
Yuri Blanarovich

W5DXP wrote:
There is forward current flowing into the bottom of the coil and out

the top. There is reflected current flowing into the top of the coil
and out the bottom. The net current is a standing current wave.

In view of the above, for practical putposes, trying to get maximum performance
out of the loaded radiator, it should be beneficial to have the same diameter
of whip above the coil, rather than tapering whip?
One might deduct that if the current is diminishing towards the top, that the
diameter of the radiator (RF resistance) could be tapered also. But since the
RF current has to flow to the tip and then reflect and go back and interfere
with itself, we should make it uniform, where possible.
We are probably talking about fraction of a peanut, but for the purists and
sake of argument.

Yuri, K3BU.us