Old September 3rd 03, 03:17 PM
Phil Munro

My limited experience with a group of exit lights is that they used
special expensive bulbs, but the electric supply place I went to find
replacements suggested some relatively new (at the time) replacements
which had a significantly long life spec. They were (are) neon bulbs as
I remember, and they have lasted many years. Well worth the money.
Exit fixtures have specs on what bulbs are to be used, I think.
Also, as someone stated wrongly about neon bulbs requiring high
voltage, they instead need series R to limit the current. --Phil

nobody wrote:
In wrote:

But in 1978 I wired the 2 bulbs in the each of the EXIT lights in
the church in series.

Congratulations, you probably bypassed a safety feature. If they're
in parallel, if one burns out the other keeps going. In series, if
one goes they're both out, and the exit sign is no longer visible.

Youngstown State University
Youngstown, Ohio 44555