Old December 21st 04, 01:20 PM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Hm, that's interesting. Was the tuner case floating? Did you try putting
both baluns at the input or both at the output for comparison? And how
much did the field strength improve and how did you measure it?

The tuner case was tied to a ground rod at the base of the antenna
support. In the last version, the radials were up at 20 ft. I didn't
try it without a choke on the input but adding a choke to the output
improved the ground level field strength at ~200 yards by a little
over one dB on 40m, if memory serves me right. I can't locate my
notebook at the moment. The field strength was measured using a Palomar
FS-1 and ferrite rod pickup antenna. The choke on the output appeared to
slightly reduce the received noise which is the problem I was chasing at
the time. I never could get the received noise down to an acceptable
level compared to my horizontal dipole so the vertical is gone.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp