Old January 28th 05, 03:18 AM
Brian Sturges

"Mark Zenier" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Sturges wrote:
9.795 to 9.800 LSB or USB at 23:30 UTC
Recipracating whooshing space sounds- to weird to describe. What the heck

is
this one?
Southwest Missouri, R-75 with 80ft random wire and balun.

That particular station is Radio Canada International's DRM trasmission.
It should go from 9.795 to 9.805.

Other more narrow signals that sound like it are frequency division
multiplex telegraph signals. They usually sound a bit more ragged.

In both cases, they're a forest of closely spaced (100 Hz or so) FM
or Phase modulated subcarriers.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Yes, I saw that the time and freq listed for Sackville at DRM.org matched.
This is the first time I've looked at the site for several months and found
that there are a lot more transmissions from just a few experimental
broadcasts listed earlier. It will be interesting to see if this becomes
really popular. Unfortunatly, the reception setup is rather involved for
most listeners. I don't think my old laptop is up to snuff for this- also,
the software is not free (yet). I may try it, but I just don't care much for
having to depend on a computer to help me listen to the radio- too much
fuss.
I suppose there are a lot of other SWL's that feel the same way. It would
be nice if I could just make up a little circuit board to hide behind the
radio, and then flip a "DRM" switch when I encounter a transmission. I'm
sure this subject has beat around here plenty anyway!
Brian