Old January 25th 05, 11:33 PM
Brian Sturges

Default Check out the weird noise!

9.795 to 9.800 LSB or USB at 23:30 UTC
Recipracating whooshing space sounds- to weird to describe. What the heck is
this one?
Southwest Missouri, R-75 with 80ft random wire and balun.

Old January 25th 05, 11:40 PM
dxAce

Brian Sturges wrote:

9.795 to 9.800 LSB or USB at 23:30 UTC
Recipracating whooshing space sounds- to weird to describe. What the heck is
this one?
Southwest Missouri, R-75 with 80ft random wire and balun.

I believe it's called DRM... my own personal reference to it is QRM.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old January 26th 05, 03:57 AM

Could it be Brother Stair tuning up?
cuhulin

Old January 26th 05, 05:13 AM
Conan Ford

"Brian Sturges" wrote in
m:

9.795 to 9.800 LSB or USB at 23:30 UTC
Recipracating whooshing space sounds- to weird to describe. What the
heck is this one?
Southwest Missouri, R-75 with 80ft random wire and balun.

Is it accompanied by a "beep beep beep" sound about 6 khz away, then sounds
vaguely like a time signal but is too fast? And, the whooshing sound goes
"whoosh whoosh" (in quick succession) for every beep. I've encountered
this before around 4850 khz, didn't know what it was. If it was DRM, well,
good to know.
Old January 26th 05, 08:13 AM
starman

Conan Ford wrote:

"Brian Sturges" wrote in
m:

9.795 to 9.800 LSB or USB at 23:30 UTC
Recipracating whooshing space sounds- to weird to describe. What the
heck is this one?
Southwest Missouri, R-75 with 80ft random wire and balun.

Is it accompanied by a "beep beep beep" sound about 6 khz away, then sounds
vaguely like a time signal but is too fast? And, the whooshing sound goes
"whoosh whoosh" (in quick succession) for every beep. I've encountered
this before around 4850 khz, didn't know what it was. If it was DRM, well,
good to know.

Unfortunately that's a CODAR signal which is used to measure the height
of waves at sea. The transmitters are located on the coasts. The
government apparently doesn't care if the CODAR stations in the US
interfere with the 60-m shortwave broadcast band, since they assigned
those frequencies to the CODAR institutions. It's an example of how a
group of people like shortwave listeners with essentially no voice in
government are taken advantage of by those in power.

Old January 26th 05, 05:56 PM
Mark Zenier

In article ,
Brian Sturges wrote:
9.795 to 9.800 LSB or USB at 23:30 UTC
Recipracating whooshing space sounds- to weird to describe. What the heck is
this one?
Southwest Missouri, R-75 with 80ft random wire and balun.

That particular station is Radio Canada International's DRM trasmission.
It should go from 9.795 to 9.805.

Other more narrow signals that sound like it are frequency division
multiplex telegraph signals. They usually sound a bit more ragged.

In both cases, they're a forest of closely spaced (100 Hz or so) FM
or Phase modulated subcarriers.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Old January 28th 05, 03:18 AM
Brian Sturges

"Mark Zenier" wrote in message
In article ,
Brian Sturges wrote:
9.795 to 9.800 LSB or USB at 23:30 UTC
Recipracating whooshing space sounds- to weird to describe. What the heck

is
this one?
Southwest Missouri, R-75 with 80ft random wire and balun.

That particular station is Radio Canada International's DRM trasmission.
It should go from 9.795 to 9.805.

Other more narrow signals that sound like it are frequency division
multiplex telegraph signals. They usually sound a bit more ragged.

In both cases, they're a forest of closely spaced (100 Hz or so) FM
or Phase modulated subcarriers.

Mark Zenier Washington State resident

Yes, I saw that the time and freq listed for Sackville at DRM.org matched.
This is the first time I've looked at the site for several months and found
that there are a lot more transmissions from just a few experimental
broadcasts listed earlier. It will be interesting to see if this becomes
really popular. Unfortunatly, the reception setup is rather involved for
most listeners. I don't think my old laptop is up to snuff for this- also,
the software is not free (yet). I may try it, but I just don't care much for
having to depend on a computer to help me listen to the radio- too much
fuss.
I suppose there are a lot of other SWL's that feel the same way. It would
be nice if I could just make up a little circuit board to hide behind the
radio, and then flip a "DRM" switch when I encounter a transmission. I'm
sure this subject has beat around here plenty anyway!
Brian

Old January 28th 05, 05:20 PM

I have had streaming audio since the day I was born,(November 5,1941)
it's called Radio.I have had streaming video since around 1953,it's
called Telebision.
cuhulin