Old January 29th 05, 12:14 AM
Rich Carlson, N9JIG

In article ,
"Frank Bals" wrote:

I have the chance to pick up either one of these scanners used for the same
price. Which is a better receiver for sensitivity, dynamic range, intermod
rejection?

Frank

I would go for the BC780.

Advantages of the 780:
500 memories (vs 400 for the 2006)
Trunking (EDACS, LTR and Moto). The 2006 has no trunking.
Computer programming and control (The 2006 has neither) (This allows the
780 to be used as the second radio in a Trunker set-up if so inclined.)
PL/DPL (2006 has neither)
Age. The 780 is a fairly current radio, only recently discontinued in
favor of the 785 and 796. The 2006 is a 15 year old design.
Size. The 780 is half the size of the 2006, fits in a car or a desk
better.
Construction. The 2006 has a plastic case, the 780 has a metal case.
Other features include a signal strength meter and variable delays.

There are a few advantages to the 2006 as well, but I still think the
780 is the better radio for most.

The 2006 can be opened for cell coverage. Since most cell calls these
days are digital it really doesn't mean as much as it did back in the
hey day of the 2006.

The 2006 has more room for various other mods. There are bunches of them
all over the net and in various books. Some of these bring to the table
features already included in the 780.

I have a couple 2006's I would trade for 780's in a heartbeat...

--
Rich Carlson, N9JIG
rich#n9jig*com