Old January 28th 05, 06:29 PM
Frank Bals

Default BC780XLT or PRO-2006?

I have the chance to pick up either one of these scanners used for the same
price. Which is a better receiver for sensitivity, dynamic range, intermod
rejection?

Frank

Old January 29th 05, 12:14 AM
Rich Carlson, N9JIG

In article ,
"Frank Bals" wrote:

I have the chance to pick up either one of these scanners used for the same
price. Which is a better receiver for sensitivity, dynamic range, intermod
rejection?

Frank

I would go for the BC780.

Advantages of the 780:
500 memories (vs 400 for the 2006)
Trunking (EDACS, LTR and Moto). The 2006 has no trunking.
Computer programming and control (The 2006 has neither) (This allows the
780 to be used as the second radio in a Trunker set-up if so inclined.)
PL/DPL (2006 has neither)
Age. The 780 is a fairly current radio, only recently discontinued in
favor of the 785 and 796. The 2006 is a 15 year old design.
Size. The 780 is half the size of the 2006, fits in a car or a desk
better.
Construction. The 2006 has a plastic case, the 780 has a metal case.
Other features include a signal strength meter and variable delays.

There are a few advantages to the 2006 as well, but I still think the
780 is the better radio for most.

The 2006 can be opened for cell coverage. Since most cell calls these
days are digital it really doesn't mean as much as it did back in the
hey day of the 2006.

The 2006 has more room for various other mods. There are bunches of them
all over the net and in various books. Some of these bring to the table
features already included in the 780.

I have a couple 2006's I would trade for 780's in a heartbeat...

--
Rich Carlson, N9JIG
rich#n9jig*com
Old January 29th 05, 12:34 AM
Rob Mills

"Rich Carlson, N9JIG" wrote in message

I would go for the BC780.

I'll wade in on this also. I have a 2006 and a BC895XLT (probably half the
radio the 780 is) and I hardly ever turn the 2006 on. The only reason I even
keep the 2006 is that I've had it since it was new and don't have the heart
to unload it (also have a BC4, keep it for same reason), the 06 is a great
scanner but very out dated. RM ~

Old January 29th 05, 01:06 AM
Rich Carlson, N9JIG

In article nSAKd.4701$HZ.1833@okepread07,
"Rob Mills" wrote:

"Rich Carlson, N9JIG" wrote in message

I would go for the BC780.

I'll wade in on this also. I have a 2006 and a BC895XLT (probably half the
radio the 780 is) and I hardly ever turn the 2006 on. The only reason I even
keep the 2006 is that I've had it since it was new and don't have the heart
to unload it (also have a BC4, keep it for same reason), the 06 is a great
scanner but very out dated. RM ~

Well said!

I have had 4 different 2004's over the years, a single 2005 and 4
different 2006's (one with an OS456) I still have the 2005 and 3 of the
2006's. The 2004's have all been sold, except the one that blew up...

I use 2 of the 2006's daily, one as a data radio for Trunker, and the
OS456 equipped one as a second radio for Trunker. This doesn't work too
well though, as they tend to get a whine when 2 radios are receiving in
the same band near each other.. I plan on swapping the second (tracking)
radio for the Trunker set up to a PRO2052 I have laying around.

As for the 780/796 bunch, I have 4 780's and 2 796's. Great radios! I
like the size/form factor as well as the operation. The 796 is a little
different operationally, it took me a long time to get used to the Hold
button instead of the Manual button, as well as the reversed
Volume/Tuning controls!

I never had a BC895 or 898, but I have heard others swear by them or at
them...

The 2006's have great sensitivity with decent selectivity. They were
pretty well unrivaled for this until the 780 came out, I think the 780
has the 2006 beat for this now.

--
Rich Carlson, N9JIG
rich#n9jig*com
Old January 29th 05, 01:07 AM
Frank Bals

I know the 780XLT has more features, but I'm specifically interested in how
they compare in sensitivity, dynamic range, and intermod rejection.

Frank

Old January 29th 05, 01:35 AM
Rob Mills

"Frank Bals" wrote in message

I know the 780XLT has more features, but I'm specifically interested

That being said, could be the 2006 might win out(sorry I can't compare).
Removing all the features of later scanners the 2006 and 2004 scanners are
awesome radios. RM~

Old January 29th 05, 02:24 AM
Bob Parnass

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 01:07:43 +0000, Frank Bals wrote:

I know the 780XLT has more features, but I'm specifically interested in how
they compare in sensitivity, dynamic range, and intermod rejection.

I experienced more intermod on the BC780XLT than the PRO-2006.

Bob Parnass, AJ9S GNU/Linux User http://parnass.com

FS: RS Pro 2067, Pro -2035 and Pro- 2006 Scanners Tom Swap 1 August 14th 04 05:22 PM
Pro 2006 Mod? Harry C Scanner 2 January 31st 04 01:15 PM
2006 for 780 Big John Scanner 0 September 26th 03 07:53 PM
FT:Like mint 2006 for 780 Big John Scanner 0 September 17th 03 10:07 PM
Infrared Remote Control for BC780XLT and BC895XLT Dan Landon Scanner 1 September 15th 03 03:22 AM