Old January 29th 05, 01:06 AM
Rich Carlson, N9JIG

In article nSAKd.4701$HZ.1833@okepread07,
"Rob Mills" wrote:

"Rich Carlson, N9JIG" wrote in message

I would go for the BC780.

I'll wade in on this also. I have a 2006 and a BC895XLT (probably half the
radio the 780 is) and I hardly ever turn the 2006 on. The only reason I even
keep the 2006 is that I've had it since it was new and don't have the heart
to unload it (also have a BC4, keep it for same reason), the 06 is a great
scanner but very out dated. RM ~

Well said!

I have had 4 different 2004's over the years, a single 2005 and 4
different 2006's (one with an OS456) I still have the 2005 and 3 of the
2006's. The 2004's have all been sold, except the one that blew up...

I use 2 of the 2006's daily, one as a data radio for Trunker, and the
OS456 equipped one as a second radio for Trunker. This doesn't work too
well though, as they tend to get a whine when 2 radios are receiving in
the same band near each other.. I plan on swapping the second (tracking)
radio for the Trunker set up to a PRO2052 I have laying around.

As for the 780/796 bunch, I have 4 780's and 2 796's. Great radios! I
like the size/form factor as well as the operation. The 796 is a little
different operationally, it took me a long time to get used to the Hold
button instead of the Manual button, as well as the reversed
Volume/Tuning controls!

I never had a BC895 or 898, but I have heard others swear by them or at
them...

The 2006's have great sensitivity with decent selectivity. They were
pretty well unrivaled for this until the 780 came out, I think the 780
has the 2006 beat for this now.

--
Rich Carlson, N9JIG
rich#n9jig*com