Old December 29th 04, 03:40 PM
Jack Painter

"Gary Schafer" wrote
Jack,

All three references are of the same article. Note the rebuttals at
the end of one of them.

I would also find it hard to believe that ANY rods on a 12000 foot
mountain were not hit in 7 years!

That study would suggest that pointed rods were excellent lightning
repellers and would protect things from being struck. Exactly what
Franklin first thought.

If not excellent repellers then it would be highly suspect of the
placement of the pointed rods on the mountain.

73
Gary K4FMX

Hi Gary, the study is of course much more detailed than the articles
describe, I'll see if I can find you a link or post the abstract here
anyway. But no, there is absolutely no such conclusion in that study (or any
other accepted work) that any device can prevent lightning from striking a
particular point by "draining off" charges.

73,
Jack