Old January 31st 05, 03:13 PM
Highland Ham

Hi, I'm looking for a multimeter that will be
used 24/7 on DC and mA readings. Are there,
in your opinion/experience, any difference in
long-term durability between the Fluke 87
(series 80) and the Fluke 81438 multimeters?

====================
Depending on the number of digits your readout needs to have , DVMs are
nowadays very cheap .
Here in the UK a well known electronic components/gadgets chain store sells
3 digits multi-function DVMs (LCD display) for GBP 5.00 or US$ 7.00. Some
time ago they sold these DVM as a promotion for GBP 3.00 or US$ 4.20
,complete with 9V battery + leads and a soft plastic pouch. It is
Mastech's model M-830B sold by Maplin
At that price 'long term durability' is no matter of concern.
BTW when comparing the reading of these low cost DVMs with a similar
'professional instrument ' the difference is at the most 2 of the least
significant digit.
As a radioamateur (hobbyist) I feel these DVMs are fit for my purpose.

Frank GM0CSZ / KN6WH