Old January 31st 05, 08:44 PM
Jim Hackett

Thanks Joe. Only amateur bands? That kinda sucks. Good thing I have
others. I doubt I'll restore it. I have literally over 100 odd shortwave
radios and after I buy them and play with them for a while they just sit and
collect dust. I call them my "retirement fund" I'll probably put most of
them up on ebay in 10 years or so and be accused of being a "capitalist pig"
LOL

"Joe Analssandrini" wrote in message
oups.com...
Dear Jim,

"JTaylor" wrote in his reply to you that you should put "gloat" in the
title! THAT is an UNDERSTATEMENT regarding the price you paid for a
Hammarlund HQ-170! This radio is their top-of-the line ham-band only
radio of the time (early '60s). The general coverage equivalent is the
HQ-180 (for which I positively "LUSTED" when I was young; the '180 sold
for $429 in 1962; that was the price of a good used CAR!). The radio is
an absolute classic and I should recommend you inquire about having it
restored to like-new condition (when finances allow). While it picks up
only the amateur bands, you will not find a radio that does so any
better. These radios are the only "boat-anchors" which remain
competitive today.

It's a triple-conversion radio and it was made for several years
starting, I believe, around 1960.

Your radio sold for $359 in 1962, $369 if it is equipped with a clock.
Hammarlund made a matching speaker, the S-200, which sold for $19.95 at
that time. (I checked all this out in my 1962 Lafayette catalog. I
couldn't afford a Hammarlund, so I bought a Lafayette HE-10 [$79.95]
and its associated speaker, the HE-11 [$7.95]. I also bought a pair of
Clevite "Brush" BA-200 headphones [$14.70]. I still have all of them!
They still work as well as they did when new [and those headphones are
still as uncomfortable as they were when new!]. The only "servicing"
the radio has required over the years is a few tube replacements. Five
or six times a year I "fire it up" for old-time's sake.)

While I personally do not collect old radios, I envy you owning this
particular one and I wish you the best of luck with it!

Joe