Old January 31st 05, 03:28 AM
Jim Hackett

Default Hammarlund HQ-170

Where does this particular model fall into the scheme of things? Today I
picked one up at my local flea mkt for $25. It works but all switches and
knobs are extremely scratchy. Needs some TLC and is missing the AM/SSB knob
but works otherwise. Also picked up a Drake SSR-1 in XLNT condition that
works amazingly well. The guy wanted $30 but I talked him down to $20. He
thought it was a CB radio. LOL For an analog readout, this Drake is spot
on. I have lots of other boatanchors and have never seen one with such
accuracy. With the way it tunes, I suspect that it is a "Wadley loop" type
radio. BTW, I thought Drakes were made in Ohio. This SSR-1 has "Japan"
stamped in the metal case...

--
Jim

Old January 31st 05, 03:36 PM
jtaylor

"Jim Hackett" wrote in message
k.net...

radio. BTW, I thought Drakes were made in Ohio. This SSR-1 has "Japan"
stamped in the metal case...

http://www.dxing.com/rx/ssr1.htm

"...the only Drake reciever made outside of Ohio."

p.s. a post like yours with such prices should include the term gloat in
the title.

Old January 31st 05, 09:18 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Jim,

"JTaylor" wrote in his reply to you that you should put "gloat" in the
title! THAT is an UNDERSTATEMENT regarding the price you paid for a
Hammarlund HQ-170! This radio is their top-of-the line ham-band only
radio of the time (early '60s). The general coverage equivalent is the
HQ-180 (for which I positively "LUSTED" when I was young; the '180 sold
for $429 in 1962; that was the price of a good used CAR!). The radio is
an absolute classic and I should recommend you inquire about having it
restored to like-new condition (when finances allow). While it picks up
only the amateur bands, you will not find a radio that does so any
better. These radios are the only "boat-anchors" which remain
competitive today.

It's a triple-conversion radio and it was made for several years
starting, I believe, around 1960.

Your radio sold for $359 in 1962, $369 if it is equipped with a clock.
Hammarlund made a matching speaker, the S-200, which sold for $19.95 at
that time. (I checked all this out in my 1962 Lafayette catalog. I
couldn't afford a Hammarlund, so I bought a Lafayette HE-10 [$79.95]
and its associated speaker, the HE-11 [$7.95]. I also bought a pair of
Clevite "Brush" BA-200 headphones [$14.70]. I still have all of them!
They still work as well as they did when new [and those headphones are
still as uncomfortable as they were when new!]. The only "servicing"
the radio has required over the years is a few tube replacements. Five
or six times a year I "fire it up" for old-time's sake.)

While I personally do not collect old radios, I envy you owning this
particular one and I wish you the best of luck with it!

Joe

Old January 31st 05, 09:19 PM
Jim Hackett

While I do own many radios, and have seen prices on ebay, I didn't think
what I paid for either of these radios was anything to "gloat" about. If I
couldn't have gotten either seller to drop down to what I was willing to pay
I would have walked away. I am genuinely curious about the Hammarlund
though as all I could find out about it was what I read on eham from a
couple people.

Old January 31st 05, 09:33 PM
Joe Analssandrini

Dear Jim,

As I stated, I never owned one. But having read "plenty" about the
Hammarlund radios at the time (they were considered second only to
Collins then), I know that this radio is a true work of art. In the
early '60s it was considered one of the very best ham-band receivers.

Hammarlund always featured (according to contemporary reviews)
stability second-to-none. Their dials were particularly well-calibrated
also. They were, as you can see, constructed like a tank. Their
sensitivity and selectivity were also top-notch. Internal speakers were
not included in those "boat-anchors" mainly because there was no room
for them! Yours is a particular "heavy-weight," both in mass and
performance.

I can't answer any particular questions concerning this receiver as I
never even had personal experience with one (though I sure wish I
had!). But I think its reputation at the time and even now speaks for
itself. Take good care of it and, if you ever do sell it, don't sell it
cheap!

Best,

Joe

Old January 31st 05, 09:44 PM
Jim Hackett

Thanks Joe. Only amateur bands? That kinda sucks. Good thing I have
others. I doubt I'll restore it. I have literally over 100 odd shortwave
radios and after I buy them and play with them for a while they just sit and
collect dust. I call them my "retirement fund" I'll probably put most of
them up on ebay in 10 years or so and be accused of being a "capitalist pig"
LOL

oups.com...

Old January 31st 05, 10:43 PM
Edward A. Feustel

[...]

What you want is an HQ180A which has the 170's triple conversion, and
general coverage or an
SP600JX with Hammerlund HC-10 converter. The 170 and 180 converted down to
455KC and
then had a tunable IF receiver that received 455KC + or - 5KC approximately.
It had a set
of sharp IF filters at 60KC and you could select either sideband and use a
bfo to boot. I really liked the receiver for the 1963-1970 period ham work.
I got to use a 180a and found it to be excellent as
well.
Ed, N5EI

to use a 180a later.

Old February 1st 05, 09:26 AM
starman

Jim Hackett wrote:

Thanks Joe. Only amateur bands? That kinda sucks. Good thing I have
others. I doubt I'll restore it. I have literally over 100 odd shortwave
radios and after I buy them and play with them for a while they just sit and
collect dust. I call them my "retirement fund" I'll probably put most of
them up on ebay in 10 years or so and be accused of being a "capitalist pig"
LOL

Put the '170' back on Ebay and advertise it for Ham's. Then you can buy
another radio, like you need more! :-)

Old February 1st 05, 02:35 PM
Jim Hackett

Well there ARE several I DON'T own yet. ;~)
I thought about the ebay thing but the cost to ship would probably
discourage anyone. It weighs around 40 lbs!

"starman" wrote in message
Jim Hackett wrote:

Thanks Joe. Only amateur bands? That kinda sucks. Good thing I
have
others. I doubt I'll restore it. I have literally over 100 odd
shortwave
radios and after I buy them and play with them for a while they just sit
and
collect dust. I call them my "retirement fund" I'll probably put most
of
them up on ebay in 10 years or so and be accused of being a "capitalist
pig"
LOL

Put the '170' back on Ebay and advertise it for Ham's. Then you can buy
another radio, like you need more! :-)

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old February 2nd 05, 01:59 AM
starman

Jim Hackett wrote:

Well there ARE several I DON'T own yet. ;~)
I thought about the ebay thing but the cost to ship would probably
discourage anyone. It weighs around 40 lbs!

Don't underestimate what people are willing to pay for shipping if they
really want the radio. I've' paid quite a lot for shipping to get some
of my boatanchors.