Old February 3rd 05, 12:34 AM
Jim - NN7K

but it has a min Farnsworth of 15wpm. I would like to get it closer to
test
standards as in between 7 and 10. the rest of the site is superb. a
great boon
to all of us who see that Extra in the sky!!

thanks
chas K5DAM

The VECs have pretty much settled on the following standard for code
testing:

Character speed: 15wpm
Word speed: 5wpm
Tone: 750 Hz

Translation: 13 WPM, SPACED FOR 5 WPM

So the 15wpm minimum Farnsworth that you are finding is what you need.

Dee D. Flint, N8UZE

Dee is correct-- and, consider this-- the characters are sent at a
higher speed (13 wpm), then required (5 WPM) , which allows you
EXTRA (no pun intended!) time to think of what that character was!
And, as I remember (am a VEC) this is the format the test is sent in!
Consider that 1) If you memorize the code (mental lookup chart), you can
do 5-7 WPM with ease, and 2) That which you hate (I was there as a Tech,
25 years ago), becomes a interesting new language (and can be
frustrating, I know , have guys worked with copied over 20 WPM,
includeing an old WWII MARINE, hadn't used it in 25 years, then--
copied 25 WPM while I pulling out my hair listening to it!
But now, kinda enjoy "reading the mail"-- Just takeing notes on
what is being sent. When you are REALLY there, you will KNOW it!
you will start hearing sylibals, then whole common words-- when
you get the real hang of it, its like listening to a conversation!
Main thing- DONT SELL YOURSELF SHORT! Give it a go, and good luck!
Jim NN7K