Old February 13th 05, 07:12 AM
Evan Platt

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:38:24 GMT, "Gary" wrote:

Can anyone explain how to use this Latitude/Longitude search engine? What
does DDD MM and SS mean? I thought there were only 2 grids in the
combination to location - like 60N - 20W ... anybody know how this works?
Link below...

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....n/lat_long.hts

Latitude and longitude come in degrees, minutes, and seconds. You can
use a DD MM however there won't be a high level of precision - Think
of it as "I'm near Main and First street" v.s. "I'm at 1234 main
street".

Another thing to keep in mind is depending on the location of the
transmitter, if it's West of - I can't recall the cutoff, you may need
to append a - (dash) to the longitude. I recall the first time I got
into GPS, I punched in some coordinates I heard for a medivac call
into a online mapping website, and it came up with a point somewhere
over the ocean. Then I was told if it's West, you need to add the
dash, or depending on the application, select West.

Evan