Old February 12th 05, 09:38 PM
Gary

Default FCC Search Site

Can anyone explain how to use this Latitude/Longitude search engine? What
does DDD MM and SS mean? I thought there were only 2 grids in the
combination to location - like 60N - 20W ... anybody know how this works?
Link below...

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....n/lat_long.hts

Gary

Old February 12th 05, 10:10 PM
dxAce

Gary wrote:

Can anyone explain how to use this Latitude/Longitude search engine? What
does DDD MM and SS mean? I thought there were only 2 grids in the
combination to location - like 60N - 20W ... anybody know how this works?
Link below...

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....n/lat_long.hts

DD would be degrees, MM would be minutes, and SS would be seconds.

dxAce
Michigan
USA

Old February 12th 05, 10:20 PM
Gary

Ok great - got it figured out. Converted my L/L and completed the search -
got gobs of frequencies for my area! Wow! Thanks dxAce

Old February 13th 05, 07:12 AM
Evan Platt

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:38:24 GMT, "Gary" wrote:

Can anyone explain how to use this Latitude/Longitude search engine? What
does DDD MM and SS mean? I thought there were only 2 grids in the
combination to location - like 60N - 20W ... anybody know how this works?
Link below...

http://gullfoss2.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws....n/lat_long.hts

Latitude and longitude come in degrees, minutes, and seconds. You can
use a DD MM however there won't be a high level of precision - Think
of it as "I'm near Main and First street" v.s. "I'm at 1234 main
street".

Another thing to keep in mind is depending on the location of the
transmitter, if it's West of - I can't recall the cutoff, you may need
to append a - (dash) to the longitude. I recall the first time I got
into GPS, I punched in some coordinates I heard for a medivac call
into a online mapping website, and it came up with a point somewhere
over the ocean. Then I was told if it's West, you need to add the
dash, or depending on the application, select West.

Evan
Old February 14th 05, 12:24 PM
Matt

"Evan Platt" wrote in message
Another thing to keep in mind is depending on the location of the
transmitter, if it's West of - I can't recall the cutoff, you may need
to append a - (dash) to the longitude. I recall the first time I got
into GPS, I punched in some coordinates I heard for a medivac call
into a online mapping website, and it came up with a point somewhere
over the ocean. Then I was told if it's West, you need to add the
dash, or depending on the application, select West.

Evan

If the Longitude is west, then it will be considered to be minus (for this
type of program) - likewise, southern lattitudes are entered as minus as
well (the southern lattitude shouldn't be needed to often for the FCC
database - one would think).

Matt

Old February 18th 05, 11:45 PM

wrote: The same limitation (89:59:59) applies for latitude, so you won't
be able to find that transmitter at the North Pole - Santa is safe for a
while. :-)

That's what you think.

An episode of "Punky Brewster" reveals that Santa Claus is a drunk
alcoholic boozer who lives in a plush condominium in Santa Cruz, and
likes to sit by his favorite bush on the warm tropical island.

"Santa Claus lives in Santa Cruz.

He's got the weakness for the island booze.

On the beach, he can pick and choose...."

etcetera.