Old February 17th 05, 05:36 AM
Pete KE9OA

Default CCrane Radio Plus responses - many thanks

I've already got a good MW design done..........if my employer will only
finish it up and put it on the market. I will probably change the
synthesizer to a Fractional N design............faster settling time with
this type, especially with a single loop type.
The unit uses a doubly-balanced diode ring mixer with an IP3 of +14dBm, with
an MDS of .1uV. I convinced the boss at our last meeting to not integrate
the receiver and active loopstick antenna; this way, the folks with the Kiwa
loops can use their own antennas. I've decided to expand the range of the Rx
to include the LW band. I am shooting for a 100 to 1800kHz tuning range.
I've got a sample of a Mini-Circuits POS-25 VCO coming in the mail in about
a week. The nice thing about this VCO is that it has a linear K/V
characteristic at the low end of its tuning range............about 1.25 to
1. This makes for a loop filter that will have good settling characteristics
across the tuning range. The best settling time I have been able to achieve
so far has been around 125mSec....................not entirely satisfactory
if this unit will have the 100 memories folks have been asking for.
I have been trying to convince my employer to forget about the spectrum
analyzer display, and just have a simple receiver with tuning, volume, mode,
and bass and treble controls. He wants that spectrum display, and that is
what has been holding up this project for the last year.
Hopefully, this project will not outlive me, and we will get it to market.
It should be the best MW receiver in existance. So far, the only existing
samples of this unit are two engineering units that I have built up myself.
I did trade off one of my earlier units for that Lowe HF-150 ( a new toy to
play with).
Stay tuned.......................

Pete

wrote in message
oups.com...
Heya
Many thanks to those who have responded. Think I'll pass up the CCrane
receiver. Now researching between the Sony 7600GR and the Grundig
S350. I have 2 very good SW receivers (an Icom R72 and a Yaesu
FRG100B) not to mention the portables (YB400 and ATS803A which is
getting long in the tooth). Just looking for the best BCB DX receiver
I can find. Take care friends
Greg WDX9KHY