Old February 17th 05, 05:36 AM
Pete KE9OA

Default CCrane Radio Plus responses - many thanks

I've already got a good MW design done..........if my employer will only
finish it up and put it on the market. I will probably change the
synthesizer to a Fractional N design............faster settling time with
this type, especially with a single loop type.
The unit uses a doubly-balanced diode ring mixer with an IP3 of +14dBm, with
an MDS of .1uV. I convinced the boss at our last meeting to not integrate
the receiver and active loopstick antenna; this way, the folks with the Kiwa
loops can use their own antennas. I've decided to expand the range of the Rx
to include the LW band. I am shooting for a 100 to 1800kHz tuning range.
I've got a sample of a Mini-Circuits POS-25 VCO coming in the mail in about
a week. The nice thing about this VCO is that it has a linear K/V
characteristic at the low end of its tuning range............about 1.25 to
1. This makes for a loop filter that will have good settling characteristics
across the tuning range. The best settling time I have been able to achieve
so far has been around 125mSec....................not entirely satisfactory
if this unit will have the 100 memories folks have been asking for.
I have been trying to convince my employer to forget about the spectrum
analyzer display, and just have a simple receiver with tuning, volume, mode,
and bass and treble controls. He wants that spectrum display, and that is
what has been holding up this project for the last year.
Hopefully, this project will not outlive me, and we will get it to market.
It should be the best MW receiver in existance. So far, the only existing
samples of this unit are two engineering units that I have built up myself.
I did trade off one of my earlier units for that Lowe HF-150 ( a new toy to
play with).
Stay tuned.......................

Pete

wrote in message
oups.com...
Heya
Many thanks to those who have responded. Think I'll pass up the CCrane
receiver. Now researching between the Sony 7600GR and the Grundig
S350. I have 2 very good SW receivers (an Icom R72 and a Yaesu
FRG100B) not to mention the portables (YB400 and ATS803A which is
getting long in the tooth). Just looking for the best BCB DX receiver
I can find. Take care friends
Greg WDX9KHY

Old February 17th 05, 03:10 PM
Greg

From: "
Newsgroups: rec.radio.shortwave
Date: 16 Feb 2005 06:12:46 -0800
Subject: CCrane Radio Plus responses - many thanks

Heya
Many thanks to those who have responded. Think I'll pass up the CCrane
receiver. Now researching between the Sony 7600GR and the Grundig
S350. I have 2 very good SW receivers (an Icom R72 and a Yaesu
FRG100B) not to mention the portables (YB400 and ATS803A which is
getting long in the tooth). Just looking for the best BCB DX receiver
I can find. Take care friends
Greg WDX9KHY

Greg - I have the DX-440, same as the 803A, and, tho it's a little long in
the tooth , it is a great performer. How do you like your 803A for MW DX?
When you get your new radio please let us know how it performs. I would
especially be interested in how your chosen new radio compares to the 803A
on MW.

Greg (also!)

Old February 17th 05, 06:43 PM
RHF

PETE [KE9OA],

Thanks for the 'status report' on the AM/MW Receiver Project.

we are still waiting and hoping ) ~ RHF
Old February 17th 05, 10:46 PM
Pete KE9OA

Anytime! I hope to have the Fractional N synthesizer designed in the next
couple of weeks. I think that with the addition of the longwave coverage,
this should be a good receiver. Right now, I am also working on a super
sensitive magnetometer circuit for detecting buried metal / ore deep below
the earth's surface. Should be cool for you treasure hunters!

Pete

"RHF" wrote in message
oups.com...
PETE [KE9OA],

Thanks for the 'status report' on the AM/MW Receiver Project.

we are still waiting and hoping ) ~ RHF
.
.

Old February 17th 05, 11:07 PM

I once saw a guy at Daytona Beach (won't be long till Spring
Break,actually though,it is Easter but y'all know how those
anti-Anerican freaks and dems and libs are) (it is still Easter to me)
and he had rigged up two metal detectors up on a piece of plywood with a
couple of wheels and an electric auto windhield wiper motor sweeping
them two metal detectors back and forth as he was pushing that rig up
and down the beach.CRAZY NIGHTS AT CRAZY HORSE SALOON! that banner said
when that little Airplane was tugging that banner along up in the sky.
cuhulin

Old February 18th 05, 05:25 AM
RHF

PETE [KE9OA],
Old February 20th 05, 05:14 AM
starman

Pete KE9OA wrote:

I've already got a good MW design done..........if my employer will only
finish it up and put it on the market.

snipped

Pete,

I've been curious about your technical background, particularly your
formal education. Where did you learn the subject matter which you
implement so well with radio receivers?

Thanks

Old February 20th 05, 06:20 AM

Who me,stupid? Nawww,I has ahh seventh grade edijucayshun.
cuhulin

Old February 20th 05, 06:23 AM

I am a Republican and I always Vote Republican too.That proves I am
smart.Even my doggy is a Republican.
cuhulin