Old February 20th 05, 12:07 AM
running dogg

I own a Grundig radio that has shortwave bands and AM/FM bands and it
has a phonograph/record player in the top of the radio which has a lid
that is hinged at the back and folds down to cover the phonograph/record
player.The radio does work but it needs some repair work to make it work
like it is suppose to work properly,seems that it doesn't put out much
sound/audio.The phonograph/record player works too.The radio has a wood
cabinet.I bought the radio for $14.00 at a Goodwill thrift store about
seven years ago.Right now I am useing the radio as a tv stand for a tv
set I don't use anymore and my stupid webtv set top box is sitting on
top of that old tv set.The owners manual is in the top of the radio
where the phonograph/record player is and I am not going to the trouble
to get it out to see what model of radio it is till I damn well feel
like it.I think the radio dates back to the 1950's but I don't remember
exactly.If some of y'all will throw up some websites with some
pictures/thumbnails (I like them thumb nail pics of them pretty naked
wimmins too) of those old radios,maybe there might be a picture of the
make and model radio I own.I also own a big Telefunken shortwave AM/FM
wooden case table model (good "yum yum" is called Table Grade) radio
that I bought at a Goodwill thrifstore about six years ago but that
radio does not work because some of the tubes are missing and I don't
know whatever else/work it needs to get it working.There is NO such
thing nowdays as new radios of any kind that comes anywhere near looking
as good as those old radios of many years ago,I don't care what anybody
says.Damn F..King cheap ass plastic radios nowdays look like ****!
cuhulin

Your Grundig and Telefunken were probably made in the 50s, especially if
they have tubes. Yes, those were the world's best radios in their day.
Many American tube radios of the period had cheap plastic cabinets and
tinny sound, and after 1955 or so Americans started phasing out tube
radio production in favor of transistor radios, so tube radios got even
worse in America as design quickly shifted to transistor portables and
transistorized "hi fi" stereo equipment. The Europeans (Dutch and
British as well as Germans) kept making quality tube table radios for a
while after 1955, and when they shifted to transistors those had
excellent quality and sound as well, unlike the cheap plastic four
transistor shirtpocket portables that were being sold in America. I have
a British transistor portable from about 1970 that I bought off ebay.uk,
and it's made in Britain (unlike stuff sold in America which was made in
Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and other Asian nations) and has very good
sound quality despite being an off brand the name of which I can't
remember at the moment. It also has REAL teakwood endpieces. I've always
wanted a German transistor portable from the same period, but I don't
speak German (necessary for corresponding with Germans on ebay.de) and
the weak dollar puts buying one out of reach. IMO the Americans haven't
made a decent radio in 60+ years-I have a 1939 black dial Zenith that is
VERY beautiful and has excellent sound, with bass, altobass, and treble
controls. It's definitely in the same league as the German tube radios
of the 50s. OTOH, I have a 1965 Arvin tube table radio that is made of
cheap plastic, has a circuit board that the tubes plug into, and sounds
like an American transistor portable of the same era. How the mighty
fell!