Old February 17th 05, 09:40 PM

Default Older Shortwave Radios - Worth repairing?

Zenith Transoceanic radio? Dang tootin there is a market? You want to
sell it? How much? Does it work?
cuhulin

Old February 17th 05, 09:45 PM

Them Zenith Transoceanics were THE Top notch Radios of their day.If old
man Otto over there in Clinton,Mississippi (Clinton,Mississippi is five
miles due West of my Blueberry doggys couch,Clinton,Mississippi is NO!
relation to bill klintoon at all,the city folks over there are mostly
Republicans,same as I am) is still repairing Radios,he can repair it.
cuhulin

Old February 17th 05, 09:55 PM

I was talking about them old original Zenith Transoceanic Radios from
back in the 1940's and 1950's.Let me phone old man Thomas Burnside over
there on (South is always the best) South Westhaven Drive.(South
Westhaven Drive is one mile due West of my Blueberry doggys
couch.(www.cattledog.com) He always has some old Radios and things for
sale.He keeps a Looking For Tube Type Radios ad in the Jackson area
Thrifty Nickle paper too.
cuhulin

Old February 19th 05, 01:45 PM
Stephan Grossklass

Pete KE9OA schrieb:

As far as analog vs. digital tuning, there isn't any difference in the
perceived sound unless the digital synthesizer has a high amount of phase
noise. Fortunately, the later versions of PLL have improved over past
designs. Exceptions are the synthesizers used in some of the premium
receivers such as the Collins 651S-1, HF2050, HF8050, etc.

Interestingly, the KWM-1 transceiver, not exactly cheap in its day
either, has the reputation of being rather noisy.

The larger speakers, along with the audio chain help the sound somewhat, but
if you really want to hear good portable sound, try to get ahold of one of
the older made in Germany Grundig portables, such as the Satellit 210
(TR6005).

That would be a "Transistor 6001". The 5000 was the Sat 205, the 6000
the 208.

A dual-conversion unit on the SW bands, with 3-gang tuning on all
ranges, including MW/LW. In direct comparison with a Sony 2010 on the MW
band, the Grundig unit was better, with none of the 2nd order IM products
that the '2010 had.

Not too surprising considering the '2010 does not have front-end tuning.
The dynamic range even of a balanced FET mixer is finite after all.

Of course, no Sync detection, no digital readout, but
the best portable sound. Some of the upper end Nordmende and Philips units
were also good. Nobody makes portables the way the Germans did in the 60s
and 70s. A lost art.

If I ever get into the position to do something about the audio quality
issue, I'll see what I can do. It's a shame when a newfangled Sony
ICF-M60SRDS cannot keep up with a 30 year old Grundig Signal 700 sound
wise and is somewhat but not dramatically better than a Philips D1835
with a much smaller speaker (8 cm vs. 12 cm). (BTW, Philips is a Dutch
company. They had their '80s portables made in Hong Kong (e.g. D1835,
D29xx) or China (e.g. AE3405), but then Grundig's Yacht Boys of the time
like the 700 were made in Singapore, too. Grundig( Europe)'s later
portables usually came from the factory in Portugal.)

Stephan
--
Meine Andere Seite: http://stephan.win31.de/
PC#6: i440BX, 2xP3-500E, 704 MiB, 18+80 GB, R9k AGP 64 MiB, 110W
Old February 19th 05, 02:36 PM

I own a Grundig radio that has shortwave bands and AM/FM bands and it
has a phonograph/record player in the top of the radio which has a lid
that is hinged at the back and folds down to cover the phonograph/record
player.The radio does work but it needs some repair work to make it work
like it is suppose to work properly,seems that it doesn't put out much
sound/audio.The phonograph/record player works too.The radio has a wood
cabinet.I bought the radio for $14.00 at a Goodwill thrift store about
seven years ago.Right now I am useing the radio as a tv stand for a tv
set I don't use anymore and my stupid webtv set top box is sitting on
top of that old tv set.The owners manual is in the top of the radio
where the phonograph/record player is and I am not going to the trouble
to get it out to see what model of radio it is till I damn well feel
like it.I think the radio dates back to the 1950's but I don't remember
exactly.If some of y'all will throw up some websites with some
pictures/thumbnails (I like them thumb nail pics of them pretty naked
wimmins too) of those old radios,maybe there might be a picture of the
make and model radio I own.I also own a big Telefunken shortwave AM/FM
wooden case table model (good "yum yum" is called Table Grade) radio
that I bought at a Goodwill thrifstore about six years ago but that
radio does not work because some of the tubes are missing and I don't
know whatever else/work it needs to get it working.There is NO such
thing nowdays as new radios of any kind that comes anywhere near looking
as good as those old radios of many years ago,I don't care what anybody
says.Damn F..King cheap ass plastic radios nowdays look like ****!
cuhulin

Old February 20th 05, 12:07 AM
running dogg

[...]

Your Grundig and Telefunken were probably made in the 50s, especially if
they have tubes. Yes, those were the world's best radios in their day.
Many American tube radios of the period had cheap plastic cabinets and
tinny sound, and after 1955 or so Americans started phasing out tube
radio production in favor of transistor radios, so tube radios got even
worse in America as design quickly shifted to transistor portables and
transistorized "hi fi" stereo equipment. The Europeans (Dutch and
British as well as Germans) kept making quality tube table radios for a
while after 1955, and when they shifted to transistors those had
excellent quality and sound as well, unlike the cheap plastic four
transistor shirtpocket portables that were being sold in America. I have
a British transistor portable from about 1970 that I bought off ebay.uk,
and it's made in Britain (unlike stuff sold in America which was made in
Japan, Hong Kong, Taiwan and other Asian nations) and has very good
sound quality despite being an off brand the name of which I can't
remember at the moment. It also has REAL teakwood endpieces. I've always
wanted a German transistor portable from the same period, but I don't
speak German (necessary for corresponding with Germans on ebay.de) and
the weak dollar puts buying one out of reach. IMO the Americans haven't
made a decent radio in 60+ years-I have a 1939 black dial Zenith that is
VERY beautiful and has excellent sound, with bass, altobass, and treble
controls. It's definitely in the same league as the German tube radios
of the 50s. OTOH, I have a 1965 Arvin tube table radio that is made of
cheap plastic, has a circuit board that the tubes plug into, and sounds
like an American transistor portable of the same era. How the mighty
fell!

Old February 20th 05, 09:24 AM
Pete KE9OA

"Stephan Grossklass" wrote in message
Pete KE9OA schrieb:

As far as analog vs. digital tuning, there isn't any difference in the
perceived sound unless the digital synthesizer has a high amount of phase
noise. Fortunately, the later versions of PLL have improved over past
designs. Exceptions are the synthesizers used in some of the premium
receivers such as the Collins 651S-1, HF2050, HF8050, etc.

Interestingly, the KWM-1 transceiver, not exactly cheap in its day
either, has the reputation of being rather noisy.

Are you talkink about the actuall noise figure, or the high amount of I.F.
gain that the Collins rigs of those days had?

The larger speakers, along with the audio chain help the sound somewhat,
but
if you really want to hear good portable sound, try to get ahold of one
of
the older made in Germany Grundig portables, such as the Satellit 210
(TR6005).

That would be a "Transistor 6001". The 5000 was the Sat 205, the 6000
the 208.

You are right............I just looked at the radio that I gave my wife, and
that is exactly what it says.

A dual-conversion unit on the SW bands, with 3-gang tuning on all
ranges, including MW/LW. In direct comparison with a Sony 2010 on the MW
band, the Grundig unit was better, with none of the 2nd order IM products
that the '2010 had.

Not too surprising considering the '2010 does not have front-end tuning.
The dynamic range even of a balanced FET mixer is finite after all.

Still, a properly designed mixer of this type should have an IP3 of at least
+10dBm. The Palstar R30 uses this type of mixer, and has an IP3 of +18dBm.
The only other radio that had a balanced JFET mixer that had that kind of
2nd order IM problem was an AOR3030. That had to be one of the worst
receivers I ever owned. That company was even too cheap to put a bandpass
filter in the MW range...........instead, they inserted a 10dB attenuator. I
ended up putting a MW bandpass filter of my own design. After changing all
of the front end filter diodes, I.F. filter switching diodes, and AGC diodes
to 1N5767 PIN diodes the receiver had some semblance of a real receiver
(note, only a semblance).
All in all, the '2010 isn't a bad receiver, considering everything it does.

[...]

I remember have a "made in Portugal" Grundig.

Stephan

I do remember Philips being a Dutch company.........I just threw them into
the mix. It sounds like you have been "around the block" as far as radios
are concerned. I love those European radios!

Pete