Old February 20th 05, 04:13 AM
Cecil Moore

Dan wrote:
More is not always better. As far as performance goes, some have suggested
that your antenna pattern can have more lobes (a bad thing) if you went with
the 100' of wire vs. the 88'. Having a very lobey pattern makes it hard to
determine where your signal is actually going, whereas having less lobes
usually means your signal will radiate at 90 degree angles to the doublet
antenna.

EZNEC predicts the pattern very well. And the reason Mr. Varney,
G5RV, chose 102 ft. for his 20m antenna was to take advantage
of the beautiful cloverleaf pattern that allows me to hit
Europe, Central/South America, New Zealand and the Far East
with 10 dBi lobes without rotating my antenna. Quite often,
my fixed G5RV beats my rotatable dipole.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp