Old February 22nd 05, 07:13 PM

Jim Leder wrote:
As it sits, I'm inclined to let well enough alone and stick with
the simple dipole, unless I can be convinced otherwise.

That's probably what I would do. In most cases like that, I prefer
the dipoles over the loops...Why? Cuz in general, more of the current
will be up at that apex height, than the loop, which usually will
have to have wires dropping lower to the ground, in order to fit.
If I've got 35-40 ft of height, I prefer to keep the antenna currents
at that height. If you have a delta loop, or any other, usually the
bottom will be fairly close to the ground. More ground loss, and
in general less effective than having it all at 35-40 ft...The
small increase in broadside gain hardly seems worth it to me.
Usually, it's hardly noticable...If I wanted gain, I'd run parallel
dipoles phased, or something along those lines...
I know you don't have the room, but a simple EDZ is more effective
than a loop, as far as the broadside gain..And you can keep it
all up high...An EDZ on 30m would be about 96 ft or so total length..
Anyway, I don't think the loops would be a drastic improvement, if
much at all...But that's just my $2.31 worth...
MK