Old September 10th 03, 01:35 PM
Wayne

Hi,

The DX-160 is very similar to its predecessor, the DX-150B, with the
addition of a LW band of 150 - 400 kHz.

There is a complete service manual, including alignment procedure, for
the DX-150B available for download at the following web site:

http://www.decodesystems.com/found.html

You should be able to adapt it to work on the DX-160 - I'd assume that
the overall process would be the same.

Also, if you don't already have one, a copy of the DX-160 Owners
Manual can be downloaded from this page:

http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/bearcatting.html

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Wayne

On Wed, 10 Sep 2003 04:58:17 GMT, Irv Finkleman
wrote:

TchrMe wrote:

Hello all. I hope that you can help me. On Sunday I purchased a nice DX160 with
spkr in good shape for ...would you believe $10! Yes, good things happen. After
doing the routine control cleaning and resoldering a cold joint which kept the
highest freq band from operating, I need to align it.
The questions a
1) Do you set the bandspread dial to 100 on the logging scale (highest
freq markings)to align the main freq dial as on other rcvrs or the lowest end?
While I my thought is the high end, the dial portion that shows is relativity
empty of markings, so I wonder if the manufacturer meant for alignment to be at
the low end. This is one of those "gut feelings".
2) When would one use the Slow AVC setting versus the Fast?
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and respond. 73
Mike KF6KXG

Mike,

You got a real steal!

I just about got a Service Manual from Radio Shack only to find
it not available any more -- one showed on their compute, but poor handling
by the salesman failed to get the order in properly or something. I have
the schematic if that helps, but what I really need is alignment data --
exactly what which you are looking for -- where to set the dials, both the
bandspread and the tuning dial, when doing the adjustments! If you
get any info, I'd appreciate if you could keep me advised as well.

The fast/slow avc really depends on the type of signal. Depending on
your preferences you can try either on various signals. For something like
an AM shortwave broadcast you might prefer the slow. If you are listening to
two CW stations operating, you might prefer fast so as to better hear if the
weaker station is trying to break in. Whatever works best for you -- it
normally makes little difference. It would if you were using it as your
receiver in a receiver/transmitter combination and operating CW. On slow,
the other station might not be able to break your signal because the slow
reaction of the AVC might keep his signal at a reduced level in between
characters or even dots and dashes depending on the speed of your
transmission.

Thanks in advance if you are able to help, and thanks also to anyone reading
these posts and taking the time to respond.

Maybe someone has a copy of the alignment procedure they could scan and
e-mail? fingers crossed

Irv
VE6BP