Old September 10th 03, 05:58 AM
Irv Finkleman

Default Help Needed with a Realistic DX160 receiver

TchrMe wrote:

Hello all. I hope that you can help me. On Sunday I purchased a nice DX160 with
spkr in good shape for ...would you believe $10! Yes, good things happen. After
doing the routine control cleaning and resoldering a cold joint which kept the
highest freq band from operating, I need to align it.
The questions a
1) Do you set the bandspread dial to 100 on the logging scale (highest
freq markings)to align the main freq dial as on other rcvrs or the lowest end?
While I my thought is the high end, the dial portion that shows is relativity
empty of markings, so I wonder if the manufacturer meant for alignment to be at
the low end. This is one of those "gut feelings".
2) When would one use the Slow AVC setting versus the Fast?
Thank you in advance for taking the time to read this and respond. 73
Mike KF6KXG

Mike,

You got a real steal!

I just about got a Service Manual from Radio Shack only to find
it not available any more -- one showed on their compute, but poor handling
by the salesman failed to get the order in properly or something. I have
the schematic if that helps, but what I really need is alignment data --
exactly what which you are looking for -- where to set the dials, both the
bandspread and the tuning dial, when doing the adjustments! If you
get any info, I'd appreciate if you could keep me advised as well.

The fast/slow avc really depends on the type of signal. Depending on
your preferences you can try either on various signals. For something like
an AM shortwave broadcast you might prefer the slow. If you are listening to
two CW stations operating, you might prefer fast so as to better hear if the
weaker station is trying to break in. Whatever works best for you -- it
normally makes little difference. It would if you were using it as your
receiver in a receiver/transmitter combination and operating CW. On slow,
the other station might not be able to break your signal because the slow
reaction of the AVC might keep his signal at a reduced level in between
characters or even dots and dashes depending on the speed of your
transmission.

Thanks in advance if you are able to help, and thanks also to anyone reading
these posts and taking the time to respond.

Maybe someone has a copy of the alignment procedure they could scan and
e-mail? fingers crossed

Irv
VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Diagnosed Type II Diabetes March 5 2001
Old September 10th 03, 01:35 PM
Wayne

Hi,

The DX-160 is very similar to its predecessor, the DX-150B, with the
addition of a LW band of 150 - 400 kHz.

There is a complete service manual, including alignment procedure, for
the DX-150B available for download at the following web site:

http://www.decodesystems.com/found.html

You should be able to adapt it to work on the DX-160 - I'd assume that
the overall process would be the same.

Also, if you don't already have one, a copy of the DX-160 Owners
Manual can be downloaded from this page:

http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/bearcatting.html

Hope that helps!

Regards,

Wayne

Old September 10th 03, 03:03 PM
Gregg

Behold, TchrMe signaled from keyed 4-1000A filament:

Hello all. I hope that you can help me. On Sunday I purchased a nice
DX160 with spkr in good shape for ...would you believe $10!

Gah! Some people have all the luck :-p

Enjoy your toy! )))

--
Gregg
*Perhaps it's useful, even if it can't be SPICE'd*
Old September 10th 03, 03:51 PM
Irv Finkleman

Wayne wrote:

There is a complete service manual, including alignment procedure, for
the DX-150B available for download at the following web site:
http://www.decodesystems.com/found.html
You should be able to adapt it to work on the DX-160 - I'd assume that
the overall process would be the same.
Also, if you don't already have one, a copy of the DX-160 Owners
Manual can be downloaded from this page:
http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/bearcatting.html
Hope that helps!
Regards,
Wayne

Thanks Loads Wayne -- I've downloaded both and will have to check
later as I've a lot of things to do today, but I'm sure it's going
to help one way or another.

Irv VE6BP
--
--------------------------------------
Old September 11th 03, 04:51 AM
TchrMe

Irv,
Based on my experience restoring many other brands of rcvrs with tubes, I was
able to deduce quite a bit about tuning the RF deck. My IF deck was pretty good
so I didn't mess with it yet.
Take the cover of the rcvr and the rf deck is on the right side looking from
the front of the rcvr.
You will see 2 rows of caps. The row nearest the rear of the rcvr is the osc
caps with the holes behind them being the osc slug coils. Band 1 is on the
right side and Band 5 on the left. I found that the S mtr was not accurate
enough to peak the adjustments so I hooked a VTVM across the spkr terminals to
visually see when I peaked a setting. Set the dial and your signal generator to
a freq near the high end of a band and tweak the cap to adj. Then change the
dial and the sig gen to a freq on the low end of the band and ck alignmt. If
not spot on, you adj the slug coils. Then go back and forth between the caps
and the coils until both setting are correct. I find I use WWV at 5, 10, and 15
Mhz as one of my settings if they are in the band being aligned. Do this with
each band. When you are satisfied with the alignment go back to the freq with
the signal gen and tweak the front row of caps to peak the signal. I think
these are for either the ant or mixer on this rcvr. Doesn't matter, just peak
them. For bands 3,4,and 5, there is a front hole for a slug coil...peak them
too. By the way Band 5 was partially none functional due to a bad or old solder
joint near the bandswitch. Make sure you clean the bandswitch and if a band is
still not wking, flex the rf board with your finger tip and see if it starts
working...then look for a bad solder joint.
Someone told me a manual is available for downloading at
http://209.145.176.7/~090/awh/bearcatting.html
I hope this helps and let me know how things went, Mike KF6KXG

Old September 11th 03, 04:54 AM
TchrMe

Thanks to all who provided and exchanged info with me on the DX 160 questions I
had. I now know where to download a manual. 73 Mike KF6KXG