Old March 15th 05, 06:51 AM
running dogg

running dogg wrote:

mike maghakian wrote:

I just got a real nice Drake R7 and was trying to learn whatever I could
about it.
I came across this post from 1999. today this package would go for abut
$1500, yet it lasted at least several days !!! I wish I had gotten this kind
of a dream deal on my R7 !!!

In 2000 I traded an almost new, in box Sony 2010 for a Yaesu FRG-8800. I
had bought the Sony a year earlier for $200 (a BIG STRETCH in 1999). I
found that the Sony didn't meet my listening needs at the time (I was
into chasing pirates, which broadcast using SSB, and the 2010's lack of
a tunable BFO was frustrating). So essentially I got Yaesu's best model
for $200. I believe the post I saw originally asked $250 for it. I still
use the Frog every day. I have a Degen 1102, but the Frog works better
with poor propagation. Try getting that sort of deal today! Ebay has
essentially inflated prices drastically. OTOH, you can get a Chinese
portable for $50 from Liypn.

Apparently people hold on to their Frog 8800s. I found a grand total of
THREE on ebay, and two of those were nonworking parts radios. The other
auction still had nine and a half days left to go.