Old March 16th 05, 03:56 PM
Alun L. Palmer

Dave Heil wrote in
:

Michael Coslo wrote:

K4YZ wrote:

The following is from the ARRL website...I brought over the
first
paragraphs as a starting point. The remainder may be read in it's
entirety at www.arrl.org.

My question: Is this even an issue?

Kind of. There is a wide gender gap between men and women in
the
engineering fields.

But working in the field, they account for 9 percent of all
U.S. engineers

There is a quote that shows up at several sites:

"Women still face gender-specific obstacles when studying and
preparing for careers in engineering and other sciences. There is
solid evidence that mentoring can help address this disparity" said
Muller"

There's any easy way out of all this stuff, Mike: Fire the president
of Harvard. Lawrence Summers made some gender-specific comments on
women in math and the sciences which, while true, may cost him his job.
The PC police were all over him like African flies on a dung pile in
the wake of his statements.

I met Summers during his visit as Deputy Secretary of the Treasury to
the U.S. Embassy in Helsinki. He showed less ego than any high level
visitor I ever encountered. He was quickly known as "Call Me Larry"
Summers since anyone addressing him as Mr. Summers or Secretary Summers
was quickly told to "call me Larry".

There are differences in the way that men and women think. There are
things which mostly interest women and there are things which mostly
interest men. There are things which a lot of men and not very many
women are good at. There are things which a lot of women and not very
men are good at. If you don't like my statement, fire Larry Summers.

There aren't many women in amateur radio. There have never been many
women in amateur radio. While the numbers have been and are likely to
remain small, some of the females have been very, very good operators.
Mae Burke W3CUL a CW whiz and traffic handling demon and DXers Martha
Henson and Iris Colvin W6QL, come to mind.

Now we need Len Anderson to chime in with something about how amateur
radio is predominately "white".

Dave K8MN

I'm not Len, but it is. There are very few black hams in the US, although
they have their own organisation, called OMIK. Apparently OMIK's original
purpose was for black mobile operators to pass info about where they could
stay, eat, buy gas, etc under the 'Jim Crow' laws.

Whilst it's hard to tell someone's race on air, it also seems that in the
Washington DC area the African Americans mostly seem to be self-segregated
on the 145.110 repeater. Of course, that machine does belong to a club in
the middle of the city, and not many white people live there.

Now you've really opened up a can of worms, Dave.

Alun, N3KIP