Old March 17th 05, 12:08 PM

albert wrote:
I am new to the shortwave hobby and I just got a HF-150. Would it

be

worthwhile to get a DSP filter, like the Timewave DSP-599zx? The

radio
works very well with one of those portable reel antennas clipped on

to the
whip antenna. The radio doesn't seem to be suffering from any

overload so I
don't think that I need a preselector; I live in a small town that

is
quite
a distance from any transmitters.

Albert.

I agree with Frank: Your top priority should be putting together some
sort of outside antenna. It wouldn't need to be anything fancy. The
HF-150 it works best with a modest antenna. It should be outside,
though.

As for DSP, my HF-150 works very well with a ClearSpeech filter (the
base unit). I pretty much always use the dsp filter when listening to
SSB. I never have it on when listening to AM broadcasts, though. The
HF-150's audio quality is so good that I don't want to mess with it!

Steve