Old March 17th 05, 03:56 AM
albert

Default Lowe HF-150 and DSP

I am new to the shortwave hobby and I just got a HF-150. Would it be
worthwhile to get a DSP filter, like the Timewave DSP-599zx? The radio
works very well with one of those portable reel antennas clipped on to the
whip antenna. The radio doesn't seem to be suffering from any overload so I
don't think that I need a preselector; I live in a small town that is quite
a distance from any transmitters.

Albert.

Old March 17th 05, 04:52 AM

I had an HF-150 a few years ago and tried a DSP unit with it. I hardly
used the DSP to be honest with you and eventually sold it. I would
spend some time and try to get an outside antenna up fed with coax and
a matching transformer. This will make a big difference over the reel
antenna. Despite its size and simplicity the 150 is an excellent radio.

Frank
K3YAZ

Old March 17th 05, 12:08 PM

albert wrote:
I am new to the shortwave hobby and I just got a HF-150. Would it

be

worthwhile to get a DSP filter, like the Timewave DSP-599zx? The

radio
works very well with one of those portable reel antennas clipped on

to the
whip antenna. The radio doesn't seem to be suffering from any

overload so I
don't think that I need a preselector; I live in a small town that

is
quite
a distance from any transmitters.

Albert.

I agree with Frank: Your top priority should be putting together some
sort of outside antenna. It wouldn't need to be anything fancy. The
HF-150 it works best with a modest antenna. It should be outside,
though.

As for DSP, my HF-150 works very well with a ClearSpeech filter (the
base unit). I pretty much always use the dsp filter when listening to
SSB. I never have it on when listening to AM broadcasts, though. The
HF-150's audio quality is so good that I don't want to mess with it!

Steve

Old March 17th 05, 04:48 PM
Lucky

wrote in message
oups.com...

albert wrote:
[...]

Hi Steve

Yes the audio quality on the 150 is just too good to adulterate with
anything except when absolutely needed.

Hey, I almost bought a Lowe HF-225 last night for $240 but the seller was in
the UK. Shipping would have been 35GBP or like $70 so I turned it down.
Plus, I hate thinking how the radio would be bounced around all the way from
the UK.

Lucky

Old March 17th 05, 06:30 PM
Dale Parfitt

Hi Steve

Yes the audio quality on the 150 is just too good to adulterate with
anything except when absolutely needed.

Hey, I almost bought a Lowe HF-225 last night for $240 but the seller was

in
the UK. Shipping would have been 35GBP or like $70 so I turned it down.
Plus, I hate thinking how the radio would be bounced around all the way

from
the UK.

Lucky

I have owned the 225, 150 and 250- liked the 250 and 150 a lot better

than the 225. Build quality of the 225 is very average- not at all like the
150 and 250.

Dale W4OP