Old March 22nd 05, 12:58 AM
RadioGuy

Darrell wrote in message
01...
Actually, I think Drake was pretty clever. The tubes cost roughly half as
much as a 6146 and had about the same capabilities. Drake was smart enough
to run them within their ratings, unlike most other manufacturers that

used
horizontal output tubes and tried to sqeeze every last watt out of them.
Add to that the fact that (according to tests results in the Bill Orr
Handbook) they actually had less distortion than the 6146 in linear
service, and it looks like a darn good decision.

I still remember a friend of mine running his TR4 full bore on 20 meters
RTTY back in the 1970's. He never had a problem.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

According to my Radio Handbook (Orr) 18th. edition (1970) on page 383:

"To date, the use of inexpensive TV-type sweep tubes as linear amplifers in
amateur SSB gear has been acceptable, regardless of the rather high level of
distortion inherent in these tube types."

I checked the spare parts price list for my TR-4 (January 1, 1977) on the
price of the 6JB6---$4.83. This seems to be in the same price class as the
6146 not to mention that the 6146 tubes were commonly available as surplus
from military or commercial services.

I also operated RTTY with my TR-3 but I had a blower on my tubes.

RG