Old March 22nd 05, 12:58 AM
RadioGuy

Darrell wrote in message
01...
Actually, I think Drake was pretty clever. The tubes cost roughly half as
much as a 6146 and had about the same capabilities. Drake was smart enough
to run them within their ratings, unlike most other manufacturers that

used
horizontal output tubes and tried to sqeeze every last watt out of them.
Add to that the fact that (according to tests results in the Bill Orr
Handbook) they actually had less distortion than the 6146 in linear
service, and it looks like a darn good decision.

I still remember a friend of mine running his TR4 full bore on 20 meters
RTTY back in the 1970's. He never had a problem.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

According to my Radio Handbook (Orr) 18th. edition (1970) on page 383:

"To date, the use of inexpensive TV-type sweep tubes as linear amplifers in
amateur SSB gear has been acceptable, regardless of the rather high level of
distortion inherent in these tube types."

I checked the spare parts price list for my TR-4 (January 1, 1977) on the
price of the 6JB6---$4.83. This seems to be in the same price class as the
6146 not to mention that the 6146 tubes were commonly available as surplus
from military or commercial services.

I also operated RTTY with my TR-3 but I had a blower on my tubes.

RG

Old March 22nd 05, 02:09 AM
Darrell

You miss the point. Drake didn't buy their tubes from the surplus market.
They bought them bulk packaged from the manufacturer. It did make sence
from their standpoint and it didn't compromise the product. From a
boatanchor standpoint I wish they had used 6146's. But when put in their
shoes in 1963, it was a good business decision.

Most horizontal output tubes have distortion products comparable to the
6146 if you keep the voltage and power down to reasonable levels. Third
order products are typically in the -25 Db range which is right in there
with the 6146.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

"RadioGuy" wrote in
:

Old March 22nd 05, 03:40 AM
Michael A. Terrell

Darrell wrote:

You miss the point. Drake didn't buy their tubes from the surplus market.
They bought them bulk packaged from the manufacturer. It did make sence
from their standpoint and it didn't compromise the product. From a
boatanchor standpoint I wish they had used 6146's. But when put in their
shoes in 1963, it was a good business decision.

Most horizontal output tubes have distortion products comparable to the
6146 if you keep the voltage and power down to reasonable levels. Third
order products are typically in the -25 Db range which is right in there
with the 6146.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

Another point of view: If a ham needed new final tubes he could buy
them at any TV shop or parts house, but the 6146 wasn't always available
over the counter without a wait.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Old March 24th 05, 12:37 AM
RadioGuy

Michael A. Terrell wrote in message
Darrell wrote:

[...]

Well... maybe if you were using a single tube that would be the case. The
Drake gear (besides gear from other manufacturers) used more than one tube
requiring them to be matched. I recall Drake sold matched sets of tubes
after checking their cathode currents in a test fixture. The tubes were
them marked and collected into sets for sale. I recall seeing the number
'18' on the envelope of a matched set of 6JB6's. What '18' meant I just
don't know. I also recall some folks back then claim the the tubes were
also matched on the basis of plate capacitance. I'd look at the matched
sets that I have but they have been in sealed packages for nearly 30 years
so I hate to open them.

The 6146's weren't a problem... we always seemed to get them if we needed
them---they seemed to be everywhere. They were sort of like antenna
insulators---if you needed them someone had them and would give them to you.
I never bought a 6146... One fellow gave me a couple of boxes of 6146W's
(yea... they were in the white boxe with the black print on the side ;-). A
lot of manufacturers were using the 6146's in their designs and the tubes
had been around a long time---for decades.

RG

Old March 24th 05, 02:44 AM
Darrell

Okay, you've convinced me. Drake had no idea what they were doing.

73,
Darrell, WA5VGO

"RadioGuy" wrote in
:

Darrell wrote:

You miss the point. Drake didn't buy their tubes from the surplus

market.
They bought them bulk packaged from the manufacturer. It did make
sence from their standpoint and it didn't compromise the product.
From a boatanchor standpoint I wish they had used 6146's. But when