Old March 25th 05, 03:58 PM
H Glazer

Greg and Joan wrote in message

"H Glazer" wrote in message
So how does streaming make bottom-line sense now when it didn't three

and
half years ago, when hundreds of stations pulled their signals to avoid
having to pay additional fees to stream ads that used unionized talent?

Are
CC and Infinity scrubbing their webcasts of such ads?

Apparently so. If you listen to WBZ radio on the 'net, you hear Mayor
Menino, ads for the Red Cross, PSAs, etc.

Also, the broadcast industry ran away from the 'net, possibly fearing

it,
not understanding it, or a combination of both.

OK, how does Internet streaming benefit WBZ in tangible dollars and cents?
If people in the Boston market choose to listen via the 'Net at the office,
maybe they're hearing 'BZ where they normally would not be able to, but
they're not hearing the advertising that drives the station's earnings.
People in other cities, states, countries ... how does their listening to
the Web stream matter? Yeah, I suppose Bobby in Birmingham and Rajiv in
Bombay would be more likely to listen to WBZ in their cars should they ever
move to or visit Boston, but that can't be the justification. I like
Internet radio just as much as the next guy, and I'm glad to see more
stations returning to cyberspace, but I'm still wondering how broadcasters
hope to recover the costs of streaming.

Howard