Old March 25th 05, 11:52 PM
running dogg

Li Changchun wrote:

Nine Commentaries Quietly Spread in Beijing

Since The Epoch Times published its editorial series “Nine Commentaries on
the Communist Party” in November, Chinese officials have tried to ban their
dissemination. But the publication continues to spread quietly. Learning
that Sound of Hope International Radio Station broadcasts these commentaries
to Mainland China using shortwave signals, more and more Beijing residents
are purchasing shortwave radios, reports indicate.

According to one Beijing informant, high-quality shortwave radios are
particularly easy to sell. "Yesterday, an acquaintance told me how
remarkable the sale is that he couldn't believe it. These radios are
expensive; US$19.24 is a lot of money. But so many people buy them- they
want to hear outside voices."

And many of those shortwave radios are made by the Communist Party,
intended for picking up CNR broadcasts. But it would be easy to put
together the anti-jamming antenna on the RFA website and plug it into
the external jack on a Degen 1102 (for example). Hell, one could even
attach it onto the whip, although one might have overloading problems.
Americans who have bought Degen 1103's meant for Mainland China have
reported that the radio comes with a little sticker with a radio tower
and the letters "CNR" on it. Despite this unsubtle attempt at
persuasion, people are listening to "forbidden" signals, and all you
have to do to clear the frequency readout is take out the batteries.
Unlike earlier times when you had to carefully adjust the pointer to
make sure that a secret policeman didn't discover that you'd been
listening to forbidden signals. If the secret police discover a radio
with no batteries in it, they can't prove that you've been listening to
something you shouldn't.

I logged Sound of Hope (Passport says Voice of Hope) on 9965 khz at
around 1230 UTC on my last DX round. Oddly, I didn't hear a jammer.
According to Passport, the station broadcasts from Palau.