Old March 26th 05, 06:00 AM
Conan Ford

running dogg wrote in :

Conan Ford wrote:

You know that the Tecsun, Degen radios etc. that you like to deride
are for the domestic Chinese market, primarily. If what you say is
true, how much longer will they be allowed to make them?

Not only that, Tecsun/Grundig/Eton is WHOLLY owned by the Communist
Party. China has a thriving domestic SW broadcast market, mainly
because many parts of the country are not covered by MW/FM. The
problem for the CCP is that the same radios which allow Chinese to
listen to CNR also allow them to listen to RFA and Sound of Hope among
others. The CCP seems to be clueless as to this fact. In fact, the
latest offering from Tecsun, the PL-350, appears from the pics Liypn
posted to have a TUNING KNOB in addition to the usual slewing buttons.
"We don't want people listening to RFA, so let's make it easier for
them to do so!" That's a real symptom of a government disconnected
from its people as well as reality. Hopefully by the time the CCP
wakes up to this fact, it will be too late. Let's also hope that the
implosion of the CCP from terminal stupidity doesn't lead to riots at
every Wal Mart in America.

Off the top of my head, these chinese PLL radios (whose performance
ranges from acceptable to excellent) all have tuning knobs:

Tecsun
PL-200
PL-550
PL-350

Degen
DE-1103

The PL-350 is just a cut-down, smaller version of the PL-550, I believe.
Smaller speaker and thus smaller case.

I imagine that the percent of these radios actually exported is probably
quite small. I imagine less than 5% are exported.

A correction, Grundig/Eton is not a chinese company, but rather they just
take chinese radios and rebrand them, then sell them again. Kind of like
how the GE and Emerson DVD players at Wal-Mart are only licensed brands,
but are actually made in China.