Old April 4th 05, 05:59 AM
Richard Clark

On Sun, 03 Apr 2005 21:47:02 -0700, Richard Clark
wrote:

By this (classical design), the work revealed in full sized, folded
dipoles (and monopoles) teaches that the size ratio of the two
elements (in this case approximated by the radiator and the gamma
element), and their proximity, yield a step-up or step-down
relationship in drive point Z (depending on which, larger or smaller,
is being driven). This is like conventional transformer winding
ratios, except in RF it is embodied in diameters and separation with
complex results (not as simple as counting turns and being done with
it). This is further complicated by the structure not being a classic
folded design - I am merely extending the metaphor, returning this to
nutshell theory.

Hi All,

For others following my strained metaphors, consult Johnson and
Jasik's "Antenna Engineering Handbook," "Impedance Transformation as a
Function of the Ratio of Conductor Sizes" (pg. 4-17 of the second
edition).

This topic has always been confined to full sized folded quarterwave
monopoles or halfwave dipoles and I have not observed any equal (that
is, comprehensive) treatment given in terms of T or Gamma matches. Of
course, there may be every reason why such has never been done.

73's
Richard Clark, KB7QHC