Old April 21st 05, 01:58 AM
bb

Dee Flint wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
ups.com...

cl wrote:
"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

cl wrote:

[snip]

I disagree. It took a great effort.

What is a great effort? Many times it is a matter of perspective.

In other
words what we expect versus reality may make something seem like a

"great
effort."

It took a big bite out of my life when I should have been paying
attention to other things. But I wanted it, so...

For some - it may! One argument I've heard, is that those

musically
inclined
pick it up quicker than others, yet I knew some who "were"

musically
inclined and claimed to have a hell of a time with it. Reason? I

don't know.
I can't get inside their head.

Steve can. He can even have them incarcerated with a simple phone
calls.

The biggest problem with most is "laziness".

Was that your problem? If you hadn't been so lazy you could

have
learned the code in under a week?

Eh - I had the code down in 2 weeks for the Novice exam. AND I'm

now
an
Extra. Been licensed since the early 80s.
Yeah, I probably could have learned it in under a week, if I

pushed
myself.

That wasn't my point. My point is that everyone is different, and

the
length of time it takes to learn 5WPM varies greatly. The time it
takes to learn 20WPM could be lifetimes. Not everyone is even

capable
of 13WPM.

Check out the book "The Art and Skill of Radiotelegraphy." Basically

anyone
without a handicap can master 20wpm with the proper training tools if

they
are truly motivated to do so. Keep in mind that we all talk faster

than
that. We even talk faster than that when we spell out words

phonetically!

When the ARRL advocates telepathy, I'll pay attention. Communication
at the speed of thought!

Most anyone will tell you - it isn't good to do such. Besides, at

that time,
I was chasing rug rats - so study time was premium.

I've been told that is absolutely no excuse. Nothing in your

personal
or professional life can be more important than learning the code.

No one has ever said that.

You're wrong. Larry Roll said that. Many of our regulars either
backed him up or were silent.