Old April 25th 05, 06:59 AM
K4YZ

Default Hans Goes The Mile To Make A Point...But Doesn't Give ALL The Facts...

Never Mind, Hans, Found it Myself...

Headers quoted for refrence, stuff in between snipped, however the
inquiring mind can certainly follow the headers and verify it's
correctness.

QUOTE:

Newsgroups: rec.radio.amateur.policy
From: (Steve Robeson K4YZ) - Find messages by this author

Date: 22 Dec 2002 00:34:59 GMT

From: (Len Over 21)
Date: 12/21/02 2:26 PM Central Standard Time

In a couple of months from now I'll mark my 50th anniversary of
first QSY...(SNIP)

Can't even get the "Q" signals correct for Amatuer application.
Besides,
"Q" signals are NOT used in MILITARY applications, either...

UNQUOTE

Congratulations, Hans! You had to go back three years to find
something you could hang on to, but nice job!

And in YOUR reference:

Sorry, Steve, but "Q" signals (properly called Operating Signals) of
course ARE used in MILITARY applications.

The governing document is ACP-131(E), an unclassified Allied
Communications
Publication (ACP) available on the web for your examination at
http://www.dtic.mil/jcs/j6/cce=ADb/acps/Acp131e.pdf .

Yep...In "MILITARY" communications...Not specifically United
States "MILITARY"...

The document you cited, for the enlightenment of others reading,
is a multi-nation Allied document...

So for that inappropraite choice of language, I stand corrected...

However:

That SAME document goes on to say: (paraphrased...you may
certainly investigate my comments more closely...)

(1) The Q codes (for decode only) are used between military
stations and civil aeronautical or maritime stations.

(2) The Z codes are for military use only. Q signals MAY be used
but are not REQUIRED for use by Allied stations.

Said codes are typically used for Morse or teleprinter
communications. Z-codes are more prevelent in AMERICAN military
communicaitons...

But thanks for pointing out s three year old error, Hans.

I don't suppose you ahve anything more contemporary to address, do

Steve, K4YZ