Old April 30th 05, 04:56 AM
John Smith

Last night I had a dream...

I snuck out to investigate a large and strange building on the outskirts of
the city, this building covered four city blocks!
When I peeked in one window, I seen two vaccume tubes, each was the size of
house!
The window was cracked, though the crack I overheard two engineers talking,
one must have been new, as the other was explaining to him that the equip
was a 100 megawatt xmitter! It was a 60 cycle transmitter. He pointed to
the rear of the tubes, at a LARGE balun which fed lines leaving the
building. He explained that the balun was properly loaded when a certain
voltage was on the plates, and there was a large, variable dummy load which
controlled the voltage on the plates, and that the input power could also be
varied, as this xmitter was used as a "constant voltage souce."
The lines which left the building went to supply homes with the transmitter
power. At each home the power was consumed by many individual "baluns",
which matched the impedance of the line to a device on the secondary of the
balun. Also, many dummy loads (light bulb, resistance heating devices,
etc.) existed in these homes. And, there were even devices who's impedance
matched that of the lines directly, but contained additional resistance to
limit the current they consumed...

Then I woke up!!! grin

Regards,
John