Old April 30th 05, 04:49 AM
€ Dr. Artaud €

Default Boring Modern Electronics and Bacon Strips

In a round about way, what one is used to, one accepts as normal or
desirable. Take cardboard bacon for example. In an attempt to frustrate
my heirs, I endeavor to live as long as possible. Filling my veins with
fat and cholesterol is an assured way of prematurely passing my estate to
my heirs. (This is meant to be funny, especially since I have no estate
to speak of). Not filling them is a way stave off their possession of my
property.

In order not to fill my veins with fat and cholesterol, I eat artificial
bacon. It's made from vegetable proteins, and, in the case of the sausage
links and patties, the ingredients state that they use "textured
vegetable protein".

When I first began eating this stuff, especially the bacon, I would tell
my wife that it was like eating cardboard, striped red cardboard. But
since then, I have come to like it quite a bit, especially when it is
cooked correctly.

This brings us to the topic of modern electronics. Years ago, there was
Olson's Electronics, Lafayette, Radio Shack, and others. They sometimes
sold exotic stuff. I have an FM receiver, made in England, a Ferguson
3426. It's unique, so unique that I can't even find a picture of it
online to show you. I bought it at Olson's, supposedly originally $300,
but as a close out item, being the nature of many of the items sold
there, $99. I have had it for 35 years.

During that time, (1970s), there was a plethora of models available. A
friend of mine had a Voxxon (spelling?), I believe it was made in Italy,
and had LW, MW, and SW reception, and FM stereo. My Ferguson is 3.5
inches tall, 10 inches deep, and about 20 inches wide. His Voxxon was at
least as wide as mine, probably 5.5 inches tall, and very shallow in
depth. They looked different. Mine has a nice finished wood case, his I
don't remember.

During that time, I had owned a variety other receivers, Technics for
one. Though it was not remote controlled, it was colorful. The use of LED
and Fiber Optic type devices were just coming into vogue. The Technics
also had a nice wood case. It was as enjoyable to look at as it was to
listen to. I still have an Onkyo 3 Head Cassette Deck, nice blue
fluorescent display that peaks in red colors. Sometimes I listen to
cassette tapes just to look at the display.

I realize that there are a lot of compact style stereos today that put on
quite a light display, but I have always owned component systems. Today's
component systems are no fun at all. I hang my head in shame as I admit
that I own a Sony AV Stereo Receiver, works great, but it looks like an
aluminum block with controls. The display is minimal, and using it is not
inspiring at all. The same with my DVD player, methodically counting
down, or up, or counting something or other, but nothing to look at.

We then come to the most boring thing of all (besides this post), LCD
displays. They are the cardboard bacon strips of the electronic world. I
do wish that they would publicly punish the man/woman that invented this
display.

Sure, low current consumption is the biggest virtue, as well as high
visibility in bright light, but their prevalence in electronic equipment
is largely due to low costs (yes yes, also low noise for HAM and SLWers)
Common folks, does the display of the Icom R-75, Yaesu FGR-100, or any
other radio get any more boring. The tabletop radios have the ability to
power more dynamic displays, even color LCDs if they must, but enough is
enough with the boring electronics of the 21st Century.

I wish I could find diversity in electronics, I have scoured the internet
looking for European models of Stereo and other electronic equipment
significantly different from what we have. But no luck, the same boring
"made in China" stuff that we have been told is so great.

Look at the high priced Icom and Yaesu radios, they don't saddle their
owners with boring LCD displays, why should we be.

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/menu.htm Look at the progression of
Technics Stereo designs. From beautiful to the black boxes that they
foist on us today.

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa616.htm
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa505.htm
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers.htm

http://www.classicaudio.com/

Look at the lights and the Nixie Tube clocks, links available from this
page:
http://www.redremote.co.uk/electricstuff/
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/count.html
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/mikesclocks.html
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/neonlamp.html see the Neon Flowers.

That's really why I use Ham Radio Deluxe to control my Icom R-75, the
colors are customizable, the screen is large, it's fun to use.

Oh, and my Sony and related equipment, the tiniest drop out in the power
yields a moment of silence from the equipment. But the Ferguson, circa
1970 technology, has capacitors the size that you would expect to see on
some electric motors, cylindrical, manly. You can actually play the
radio, at modest volume, through the speakers, grab the plug, pull from
the receptacle, and the volume doesn't drop for 3 to 5 seconds. You can
try to do this with the Sony at modest volume, and it cuts out.

My Sony, a high wattage receiver, has the admonition that if the sides of
the receiver become VERY hot, do not touch it. No kidding!

Dr. Artaud