Old April 30th 05, 04:49 AM
€ Dr. Artaud €

Default Boring Modern Electronics and Bacon Strips

In a round about way, what one is used to, one accepts as normal or
desirable. Take cardboard bacon for example. In an attempt to frustrate
my heirs, I endeavor to live as long as possible. Filling my veins with
fat and cholesterol is an assured way of prematurely passing my estate to
my heirs. (This is meant to be funny, especially since I have no estate
to speak of). Not filling them is a way stave off their possession of my
property.

In order not to fill my veins with fat and cholesterol, I eat artificial
bacon. It's made from vegetable proteins, and, in the case of the sausage
links and patties, the ingredients state that they use "textured
vegetable protein".

When I first began eating this stuff, especially the bacon, I would tell
my wife that it was like eating cardboard, striped red cardboard. But
since then, I have come to like it quite a bit, especially when it is
cooked correctly.

This brings us to the topic of modern electronics. Years ago, there was
Olson's Electronics, Lafayette, Radio Shack, and others. They sometimes
sold exotic stuff. I have an FM receiver, made in England, a Ferguson
3426. It's unique, so unique that I can't even find a picture of it
online to show you. I bought it at Olson's, supposedly originally $300,
but as a close out item, being the nature of many of the items sold
there, $99. I have had it for 35 years.

During that time, (1970s), there was a plethora of models available. A
friend of mine had a Voxxon (spelling?), I believe it was made in Italy,
and had LW, MW, and SW reception, and FM stereo. My Ferguson is 3.5
inches tall, 10 inches deep, and about 20 inches wide. His Voxxon was at
least as wide as mine, probably 5.5 inches tall, and very shallow in
depth. They looked different. Mine has a nice finished wood case, his I
don't remember.

During that time, I had owned a variety other receivers, Technics for
one. Though it was not remote controlled, it was colorful. The use of LED
and Fiber Optic type devices were just coming into vogue. The Technics
also had a nice wood case. It was as enjoyable to look at as it was to
listen to. I still have an Onkyo 3 Head Cassette Deck, nice blue
fluorescent display that peaks in red colors. Sometimes I listen to
cassette tapes just to look at the display.

I realize that there are a lot of compact style stereos today that put on
quite a light display, but I have always owned component systems. Today's
component systems are no fun at all. I hang my head in shame as I admit
that I own a Sony AV Stereo Receiver, works great, but it looks like an
aluminum block with controls. The display is minimal, and using it is not
inspiring at all. The same with my DVD player, methodically counting
down, or up, or counting something or other, but nothing to look at.

We then come to the most boring thing of all (besides this post), LCD
displays. They are the cardboard bacon strips of the electronic world. I
do wish that they would publicly punish the man/woman that invented this
display.

Sure, low current consumption is the biggest virtue, as well as high
visibility in bright light, but their prevalence in electronic equipment
is largely due to low costs (yes yes, also low noise for HAM and SLWers)
Common folks, does the display of the Icom R-75, Yaesu FGR-100, or any
other radio get any more boring. The tabletop radios have the ability to
power more dynamic displays, even color LCDs if they must, but enough is
enough with the boring electronics of the 21st Century.

I wish I could find diversity in electronics, I have scoured the internet
looking for European models of Stereo and other electronic equipment
significantly different from what we have. But no luck, the same boring
"made in China" stuff that we have been told is so great.

Look at the high priced Icom and Yaesu radios, they don't saddle their
owners with boring LCD displays, why should we be.

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/menu.htm Look at the progression of
Technics Stereo designs. From beautiful to the black boxes that they
foist on us today.

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa616.htm
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa505.htm
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers.htm

http://www.classicaudio.com/

Look at the lights and the Nixie Tube clocks, links available from this
page:
http://www.redremote.co.uk/electricstuff/
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/count.html
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/mikesclocks.html
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/neonlamp.html see the Neon Flowers.

That's really why I use Ham Radio Deluxe to control my Icom R-75, the
colors are customizable, the screen is large, it's fun to use.

Oh, and my Sony and related equipment, the tiniest drop out in the power
yields a moment of silence from the equipment. But the Ferguson, circa
1970 technology, has capacitors the size that you would expect to see on
some electric motors, cylindrical, manly. You can actually play the
radio, at modest volume, through the speakers, grab the plug, pull from
the receptacle, and the volume doesn't drop for 3 to 5 seconds. You can
try to do this with the Sony at modest volume, and it cuts out.

My Sony, a high wattage receiver, has the admonition that if the sides of
the receiver become VERY hot, do not touch it. No kidding!

Dr. Artaud
Old April 30th 05, 07:30 AM
Conan Ford

I'd be happy if they just stopped sticking blue LED's in every product
imaginable.
Old April 30th 05, 12:45 PM
€ Dr. Artaud €

Conan Ford wrote in
.159:

I'd be happy if they just stopped sticking blue LED's in every product
imaginable.

What, like cellphones? My son converted his cellphone to a clear case, and
the phone lights up blue when it rings.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud
Old April 30th 05, 05:16 PM
€ Dr. Artaud €

Greg wrote in
:

Ah yes, many of the older stereos were indeed pleasant to look at. Even
some of the older Shortwave Radios, even though they weren't overly
ornate, had nice backlit meters, and interestingly colored dials and
indicators, and the meters themselves often had colored scales. The
combination of the backlighting, the scales, and the constant meter
movements were interesting in themselves.

I really don't believe that our children will reminisce about Nintendos
and Walkmans, though there may be more interest than I can believe. I had
an HP calculator, which I sold to a local man that in turn placed it on
e-bay. I cannot believe the money that he got for it, well into the $200
price range. The original price was only $119. Only time will tell.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

I used to explore the world staring at the "slide rule dial" of my
Heath AR-3. And that black & white display was pretty minimal
compared to other radios of that era, like Hallicrafters and the
Zenith TransOceanics. But, to me, the Heath was cool.

My main receiver is a JRC NRD-525. It has a very attractive
fluorescent display - mostly bluish-white digits on a dark background
but with yellow & red also. When I listen to SW late at night, all
the room lights are out, save for a 7 watt lamp over the computer
desk. The NRD's display is something to look at while tuning around.
And an added bonus; there is a red LCD inside the cabinet that shines
through the louvers on top that makes it look as if there are tubes
inside!

The NRD has minimal menus. It operates with switches and knobs, just
like in the old days. Its fun to operate.

On top of my computer desk is a JVC AM/FM stereo receiver. I bought
it in the early 80's, when JVC was still turning out solid equipment.
It has the edge-lighted slide rule dial. It's an average performer
but I wouldn't trade it for a modern digital receiver. (We have the
Sony digital surround sound home theater in the living room. Very
impressive audio with music CD's and movie DVD's. But as a radio,
operation-wise, it pretty much sucks.)

I wonder if our kids will look back with nostalgia over their
Nintendos and their Sony Walkmans.

Greg

Old April 30th 05, 06:00 PM
€ Dr. Artaud €

"Simon Mason" wrote in news:vT6dnYPNgJ4-
:

Oh, and while I'm still obsessed with it, and since there was so little
comments about it, have you visited the link that I posted about the 500K
Volt line that experienced a tremendous arc when opened, according to some
to be 100 feet.

I don't know if others looked at it, or if I made it to the killfile of
most of the poster's Newsreaders, but it is worth a look. Only 2 people
responded when I posted it, it is something to see.

http://www.wiseguysynth.com/larry/day.htm Click on the image for a 1.5 MB
MPG file, filmed since the crew knew that something was wrong with the
switch, and were documenting it. I watch it every day and it still
fascinates me. Some of the crew just started backing up when the arc
finally extinguished, supposedly due to another breaker being opened.

Now you can see why mom always said not to play with electricity.

If you like it, repost the link.

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

Old April 30th 05, 06:38 PM
BDK

In article , =A4NoSuchThing
says...
In a round about way, what one is used to, one accepts as normal or=20
desirable. Take cardboard bacon for example. In an attempt to frustrate=

=20
my heirs, I endeavor to live as long as possible. Filling my veins with=

=20
fat and cholesterol is an assured way of prematurely passing my estate to=

=20
my heirs. (This is meant to be funny, especially since I have no estate=

=20
to speak of). Not filling them is a way stave off their possession of my=

=20
property.
=20
In order not to fill my veins with fat and cholesterol, I eat artificial=

=20
bacon. It's made from vegetable proteins, and, in the case of the sausage=

=20
links and patties, the ingredients state that they use "textured=20
vegetable protein". =20
=20
When I first began eating this stuff, especially the bacon, I would tell=

=20
my wife that it was like eating cardboard, striped red cardboard. But=20
since then, I have come to like it quite a bit, especially when it is=20
cooked correctly.=20
=20
This brings us to the topic of modern electronics. Years ago, there was=

=20
Olson's Electronics, Lafayette, Radio Shack, and others. They sometimes=

=20
sold exotic stuff. I have an FM receiver, made in England, a Ferguson=20
3426. It's unique, so unique that I can't even find a picture of it=20
online to show you. I bought it at Olson's, supposedly originally $300,=

=20
but as a close out item, being the nature of many of the items sold=20
there, $99. I have had it for 35 years.=20
=20
During that time, (1970s), there was a plethora of models available. A=20
friend of mine had a Voxxon (spelling?), I believe it was made in Italy,=

=20
and had LW, MW, and SW reception, and FM stereo. My Ferguson is 3.5=20
inches tall, 10 inches deep, and about 20 inches wide. His Voxxon was at=

=20
least as wide as mine, probably 5.5 inches tall, and very shallow in=20
depth. They looked different. Mine has a nice finished wood case, his I=

=20
don't remember.
=20
During that time, I had owned a variety other receivers, Technics for=20
one. Though it was not remote controlled, it was colorful. The use of LED=

=20
and Fiber Optic type devices were just coming into vogue. The Technics=20
also had a nice wood case. It was as enjoyable to look at as it was to=20
listen to. I still have an Onkyo 3 Head Cassette Deck, nice blue=20
fluorescent display that peaks in red colors. Sometimes I listen to=20
cassette tapes just to look at the display.
=20
I realize that there are a lot of compact style stereos today that put on=

=20
quite a light display, but I have always owned component systems. Today's=

=20
component systems are no fun at all. I hang my head in shame as I admit=

=20
that I own a Sony AV Stereo Receiver, works great, but it looks like an=

=20
aluminum block with controls. The display is minimal, and using it is not=

=20
inspiring at all. The same with my DVD player, methodically counting=20
down, or up, or counting something or other, but nothing to look at.=20
=20
We then come to the most boring thing of all (besides this post), LCD=20
displays. They are the cardboard bacon strips of the electronic world. I=

=20
do wish that they would publicly punish the man/woman that invented this=

=20
display.=20
=20
Sure, low current consumption is the biggest virtue, as well as high=20
visibility in bright light, but their prevalence in electronic equipment=

=20
is largely due to low costs (yes yes, also low noise for HAM and SLWers)=

=20
Common folks, does the display of the Icom R-75, Yaesu FGR-100, or any=20
other radio get any more boring. The tabletop radios have the ability to=

=20
power more dynamic displays, even color LCDs if they must, but enough is=

=20
enough with the boring electronics of the 21st Century.=20
=20
I wish I could find diversity in electronics, I have scoured the internet=

=20
looking for European models of Stereo and other electronic equipment=20
significantly different from what we have. But no luck, the same boring=

=20
"made in China" stuff that we have been told is so great.=20
=20
Look at the high priced Icom and Yaesu radios, they don't saddle their=20
owners with boring LCD displays, why should we be.=20
=20
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/menu.htm Look at the progression of=20
Technics Stereo designs. From beautiful to the black boxes that they=20
foist on us today.=20
=20
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa616.htm=20
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa505.htm=20
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers.htm=20
=20
http://www.classicaudio.com/
=20
Look at the lights and the Nixie Tube clocks, links available from this=

=20
page:
http://www.redremote.co.uk/electricstuff/
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/count.html
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/mikesclocks.html
http://www.electricstuff.co.uk/neonlamp.html see the Neon Flowers.
=20
That's really why I use Ham Radio Deluxe to control my Icom R-75, the=20
colors are customizable, the screen is large, it's fun to use.
=20
Oh, and my Sony and related equipment, the tiniest drop out in the power=

=20
yields a moment of silence from the equipment. But the Ferguson, circa=20
1970 technology, has capacitors the size that you would expect to see on=

=20
some electric motors, cylindrical, manly. You can actually play the=20
radio, at modest volume, through the speakers, grab the plug, pull from=

=20
the receptacle, and the volume doesn't drop for 3 to 5 seconds. You can=

=20
try to do this with the Sony at modest volume, and it cuts out.
=20
My Sony, a high wattage receiver, has the admonition that if the sides of=

=20
the receiver become VERY hot, do not touch it. No kidding!
=20
Dr. Artaud=20
=20

I had this one for almost 25 years, a friend has it now, running the=20
power amp only for the rear surround channels:

Panasonic SA-6500 am/fm receiver (No PIC damnit!)

I bought and then sold a whole bunch more of these. I could get them for=20
$212 each, plus $5 UPS shipping. I sold about a dozen during my freshman=20
year of=20

It was built like a tank, the chassis was almost totally solid aluminum,=20
and what wasn't was sheet steel. It had the Panasonic name on the front,=20
but the whole insides were labeled "Technics, by Panasonic". The only=20
weak thing it had was the sliders for volume, tone, and balance. They=20
started getting scratchy about 1983 when it was 10, and got intolerable=20
a couple years later. I couldn't find those slider pots anywhere.=20

The green "thermometer" tuning indicator was nice to look at too. =20

I bought a very similar model to this tape deck, except it had sliders=20
for the levels and had some primitive mixing controls on it too. It was=20
also labeled "Panasonic", but said Technics all over the inside of it.=20
It was as tough as the 6500 and the only reason I retired it was that=20
the head was worn out on it, and the takeup reel motor was getting tired=20
after 25 years,and finding another one to donate one wasn't possible. An=20
Onkyo auto- reverse with really neat fluorescent display replaced it=20
about 7 years ago. Funny how the sliders on the tape deck never got all=20
scratchy, but the receiver's did.

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/tapedecks/rs279us.htm It was 99 bucks=20
when they closed them out..whata deal!

Had one of these for a while, got zapped by lightning:

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/tapedecks/rs676us.htm Insides appear to=20
be much like the above one.

Still have one of these, sitting right next to me now..still works=20
great:

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/tapedecks/rsm45.htm

Had one of these, got stolen from a friend's house, he gave me the money=20
for the RSM45..

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/tapedecks/rsm24.htm

A friend had one of these monsters:

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa1000.htm

What a tank!

And he got one of these a few years later, in silver though. I only saw=20
black ones except for his:

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/cdplayers/slp1200.htm

Another friend got one of these for xmas, his GF broke up with him soon=20
after, and he gave it back to her, but let her keep the bracelet he=20
bought her:

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/cdplayers/slp2.htm

It ran very very hot.

He still has this reel to reel and it looks brand new:

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/tapedecks/rs1030us.htm

Great page!

BDK

Old April 30th 05, 08:23 PM
Greg

My wife & I bought our first calculator around 1972. It was a Texas
Instruments model with LED display and rechargeable batteries, just a basic
arithmetic calc., and it cost $80! Today a comparable (in function)
calculator costs under $5 and when the battery runs down you throw it away!

As for the Atkins diet, I know a lot of people who have lost weight on it,
and even lowered their cholesterol, but if you go off it the weight comes
back. The trick is to change your lifestyle so that you are eating healthy,
including adequate carbs, and getting sufficient exercise. I'm still
working on that since I have an affection for baked goods and sweets. But
soon I'll look as good as Simon Mason!

Greg

Old May 1st 05, 12:46 AM
€ Dr. Artaud €

BDK wrote in
:

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/cdplayers/slp1200.htm
VERY NICE, I've never seen this model before.

http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa1000.htm
Also a pleasure to look at, no solid black cabinet there, this is exactly
what I mean, they don't make this kind of equipment anymore. Everything
in modern units has been integrated for remote control purposes (never
mind that it's cheaper to manufacture as well, ergo higher profits).

Regards,

Dr. Artaud

I had this one for almost 25 years, a friend has it now, running the
power amp only for the rear surround channels:

Panasonic SA-6500 am/fm receiver (No PIC damnit!)

I bought and then sold a whole bunch more of these. I could get them
for $212 each, plus $5 UPS shipping. I sold about a dozen during my
freshman year of

It was built like a tank, the chassis was almost totally solid
aluminum, and what wasn't was sheet steel. It had the Panasonic name
on the front, but the whole insides were labeled "Technics, by
Panasonic". The only weak thing it had was the sliders for volume,
tone, and balance. They started getting scratchy about 1983 when it
was 10, and got intolerable a couple years later. I couldn't find
those slider pots anywhere.

The green "thermometer" tuning indicator was nice to look at too.

Old May 1st 05, 07:06 AM
BDK

In article , =A4NoSuchThing
says...
BDK wrote in
:=20
=20
=20
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/cdplayers/slp1200.htm
VERY NICE, I've never seen this model before.

It's really heavy, had a lot of DJ type features with the wheel and=20
stuff. You could slam your fist down next to it, hard enough to make it=20
bounce, and it just played on. It still works fine, but the display is=20
barely visible without any lights on...too bad, it looks new.
=20
=20
http://www.vintagetechnics.com/receivers/sa1000.htm
Also a pleasure to look at, no solid black cabinet there, this is exactly=

=20
what I mean, they don't make this kind of equipment anymore. Everything=

=20
in modern units has been integrated for remote control purposes (never=20
mind that it's cheaper to manufacture as well, ergo higher profits).=20

Well, it had it's faults, one, the tuner was kind of noisy, digital=20
receivers weren't that great yet. Two, it was a hot runner, even just=20
sitting there listening to headphones. Three, it had a lot of cold=20
solder joints on the preamp section that we finally solved by taking it=20
apart (what an amazing amount of of screws and stuff) and pulling the=20
preamp out and hitting every joint that didn't look perfect. That fixed=20
it and it ran fine until 91 or so, when the transformer smoked itself.=20

BDK=20

=20
Regards,=20
=20
Dr. Artaud
=20
I had this one for almost 25 years, a friend has it now, running the=20
power amp only for the rear surround channels:
=20
Panasonic SA-6500 am/fm receiver (No PIC damnit!)
=20
I bought and then sold a whole bunch more of these. I could get them
for $212 each, plus $5 UPS shipping. I sold about a dozen during my
freshman year of=20