Old May 2nd 05, 12:51 AM

From: "Dee Flint" on Sat,Apr 30 2005 4:13 pm

"K=D8=88B" wrote in message
ink.net...
"K4YZ" wrote

There is a very painful and delicate balance between the lattitude
permitted by what we call "free speech" and where your "right" to

be
abusive in public stops.

"As it is an ancient truth that freedom cannot be legislated into
existence, so it is no less obvious that freedom cannot be censored

into
existence."
-- Dwight David Eisenhower (1890-1969), 34th US President

"Our liberty depends on the freedom of speech and that cannot be

limited
without being lost."
-- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), 3rd US President

The only valid limitation of free speech under our Constitution is

your
individual right not to listen.

ZBM2,

de Hans, K0HB

In a practical sense there are de facto limits. One is perfectly free

commit slander and libel.

No, dear, "one is NOT perfectly free" in ANY practical sense.

By your logic, one is "perfectly free" to commit murder
or grand theft, etc.

You confuse "perfectly free" with BEING ABLE TO DO SOMETHING.

It's not illegal and one cannot go to jail for it.

Slander (spoken) and libel (written) are NOT felonies.

Hello? There are TWO kinds of courts in our land and
under our (presumably you are a citizen of the USA)
laws: Criminal and Civil. [ask Phil Kane if you want
to make an issue of that...]

Yet people CAN be held finanicially liable for the effects of their
slander, etc.

It's a LOT stickier than that, Dee. FAILURE to carry out
a Civil COURT judgement order CAN result in both fines
and imprisonment.

The "financial" difference between Criminal and Civil
courts is that the State bears the legal costs of
Criminal prosecution...in Civil courts both sides
have to pay for legal representation (dependent on the
final decision of the court).

That's just basic civics information from public
school. I'm surprised you've forgotten that, being
a "parent" and all to the "children" in here...

This liability for the effects of one's "free speech" are a
limit even though it is not censorship.

Tsk. There's where you can't differentiate the Control
Freaks from the Free-speechers. The Control Freaks will
spend inordinate amounts of time in Harrassment,
Intimidation, Heckling, and Insulting certain groups...
all in an attempt to Assert Their Turf and try to force
all into "thinking" as they do (i.e., be of the same
opinions...or else). You can see them IN HERE. :-)

In Germany they once had "Krystalnacht." In here all
the glass-jawed Control Freaks bust their own chops
in spending all that "free time" on gratuitous
insulting, heckling, and general harrassement of
certain others. Their broken glass "tinkles" all
over each subject. "Free speech?" Only by a
technical definition.

Try to get with the program, Dee.

[message received and disposed of]