Old May 10th 05, 02:22 AM
Roy Lewallen

I'm eagerly awaiting the block diagram and system specification which I
assume you'll be working on. I'm sure it won't take you long. Good luck!

Roy Lewallen, W7EL

John Smith wrote:
Roy:

Like Linux, a superior operating system when compared to windows--it would
mainly be done by "the community"... all the hardware guys would have to do
is make known the ports, address, etc... they are really un-needed from
there--but, it would speed the takeoff of the "system" if they did provide a
beginning point... and, one can always run a de-compressor (if they have
compressed the executable), then a disassembler to asm, then a converter to
"C" and, if you can program, you can now "tweak" the code anyway you would
like... you will have a copy of it!!!!

If the "hardware guys" didn't know how to provide a software interface,
there are "linux hams" who would, most likely, if asked, "sponsor" such a
effort on the Linux platform--hopefully--the interface to such a radio would
bypass BOTH Mac and Windows, why these OS's are sufficient for home users,
non-technical business and gov't--the technical mind deserves more, the
power of linux (unix really) would serve them much better...

However, the "system" we are speaking of would ONLY require a software
interface if you inserted that card/module which allowed computer control,
otherwise it would be using the analog card/module and associated
faceplate...

I think most here start right out trying to "limit" this "system" I have put
forward--there would be no limits to it... if you can see a limit, that is
only a bug which needs designed around...

The homebrew community might be the best place to design, develop and
introduce this from... as, if you allow too greedy a manufacturer
control--it will just end up dying from his/her attempts to squeeze too much
blood from the turnip!!! That is what has happened in the past...

Warmest regards,
John