Old May 15th 05, 03:56 PM
Cecil Moore

Gary wrote:
I've got a friend that swears by a center fed Zepp antenna as great
multiband antenna ( 2004 ARRL handbook Pg. 20.5 center column )

Note that "Zepp" is in parentheses in the Handbook indicating
the usage in that context is not entirely correct. A Zepp is
1/2WL long fed at the end with 1/4WL of parallel line. Center
feeding it results only in a 1/2WL center fed dipole, not a Zepp.
I wish the ARRL wouldn't muddy the lingo like that.

The handbook doesn't mention the double "coil" / balun arrangement. I
wonder if anyone else has used or seen such an antenna and feedline
arrangement ?

If I understand what you wrote, the choke should work just as
well if it were only one coil of an equal number of turns. The
common-mode currents flow only on the outside braid of coax.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp