Old May 15th 05, 11:39 AM
Gary

Default Center fed Zepp VS G5RV ?

I've got a friend that swears by a center fed Zepp antenna as great
multiband antenna ( 2004 ARRL handbook Pg. 20.5 center column ) His is
cut for 80 meters but he claims great operation on other bands as
well. He feeds it with 300 Ohm twin lead which then comes into his
shack and is connected to choke / impedance ? matching baluns ?
Initially one end of the twin lead connects to the center conductor of
the "balun" which is approx 10 turns of RG-8X, in a 6" coil, the other
end is connected to the braid. Then the center conductor of the first
coil / balun is connected to the braid of an identical coil and the
braid of the first coil is connected to the center conductor of the
second coil. Then that is run through his transmatch. He said he got
the idea from a now SK ham about 30 some years ago and has been using
it ever since.

The handbook doesn't mention the double "coil" / balun arrangement. I
wonder if anyone else has used or seen such an antenna and feedline
arrangement ?

73 Gary
Old May 15th 05, 03:56 PM
Cecil Moore

Gary wrote:
I've got a friend that swears by a center fed Zepp antenna as great
multiband antenna ( 2004 ARRL handbook Pg. 20.5 center column )

Note that "Zepp" is in parentheses in the Handbook indicating
the usage in that context is not entirely correct. A Zepp is
1/2WL long fed at the end with 1/4WL of parallel line. Center
feeding it results only in a 1/2WL center fed dipole, not a Zepp.
I wish the ARRL wouldn't muddy the lingo like that.

The handbook doesn't mention the double "coil" / balun arrangement. I
wonder if anyone else has used or seen such an antenna and feedline
arrangement ?

If I understand what you wrote, the choke should work just as
well if it were only one coil of an equal number of turns. The
common-mode currents flow only on the outside braid of coax.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp

Old May 15th 05, 11:33 PM
Gary

Who said there was a problem ? I was only curious as to what the
gurus in this group thought of the arrangement as I was thinking of
trying it myself.

Gary

On Sun, 15 May 2005 12:29:04 -0500, "Joe S."
wrote:

If it makes him happy, what's the problem?

--

-----

.. .

Old May 15th 05, 11:36 PM
Gary

On Sun, 15 May 2005 09:56:34 -0500, Cecil Moore
wrote:

Gary wrote:
I've got a friend that swears by a center fed Zepp antenna as great
multiband antenna ( 2004 ARRL handbook Pg. 20.5 center column )

Note that "Zepp" is in parentheses in the Handbook indicating
the usage in that context is not entirely correct. A Zepp is
1/2WL long fed at the end with 1/4WL of parallel line. Center
feeding it results only in a 1/2WL center fed dipole, not a Zepp.
I wish the ARRL wouldn't muddy the lingo like that.

The handbook doesn't mention the double "coil" / balun arrangement. I
wonder if anyone else has used or seen such an antenna and feedline
arrangement ?

If I understand what you wrote, the choke should work just as
well if it were only one coil of an equal number of turns. The
common-mode currents flow only on the outside braid of coax.

Ok Cecil, thanks for the information. I was curious as I was thinking
of trying the antenna myself, but perhaps I'll stick with the good ole
G5RV.

73 Gary

Old May 18th 05, 02:56 AM
Mike Coslo

wrote:

Gary wrote:

[...]

Why not, Gary? There are many reasons to try different types of
antennas, and the fun of making them is one reason. There might also be
practical reasons too. I made an OCF dipole, in no small part because
the way the trees run in my yard, the coax drop was just above my shack
location. And hey - the antenna works pretty well too.

I'd go for it! Then tell us what you find out.

- Mike KB3EIA -

Coax Length for G5RV and Center Support for Ladder Line ? Gary Antenna 10 April 25th 05 02:27 AM
Center Fed " Zepp " with Coaxial Balun ? Gary Antenna 15 January 9th 05 01:50 AM
G5RV vs. G5RV Jr. Jim Leder Antenna 15 August 25th 04 02:12 AM
Long wire vs. G5RV/dipole John Shortwave 10 March 5th 04 03:16 AM
G5RV or 35 ft center fed GJS917 Antenna 8 February 21st 04 12:34 AM