Old May 26th 05, 02:22 PM
Ralph Mowery

"MarkAren" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi All,

I keep noticing something which looks odd to me - I am sure it is
correct because this appears to be standard practice, but I would
appreciate it if someone could shed some light on the reasons...

Take a peek at http://web.telia.com/~u85920178/tx/500w-txt.htm (first
example I found). Specifically look at the 5 position switch on the
output matching, in position 5, the bulk of the inductor is shorted
out. This just looks plain wrong to me.

I assume that having shorted turns on an inductor like this drops the Q
drastically, or is this the whole point ?

Is the same true for roller coaster type variable inductors ?

It might cause some small ammount of power loss but it has been done that
way in many other amps over the years. Probably not enough loss to notice
or others would have done it differantly.