Old May 31st 05, 08:30 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 07 May 2005 07:28:15a, Bill Turner wrote in rec.radio.swap:

On Fri, 6 May 2005 17:28:57 -0500, "PowerHouse Communications"
wrote:

Very strange... That's two replies about removing lettering... I must
have just been lucky to date, as I have never come across a problem with
Windex removing lettering... Is this more prominent on older equipment,
or is newer equipment equally trouble prone?

Modern equipment uses lettering which is silk-screened on with some
pretty tough inks. I've not had problems with anything made in the last
15-20 years or so. It's the really old equipment you need to be careful
with. Some of that stuff was printed with solvent-based ink and solvents
will take it right off.

The rule is to test an inconspicuous spot first, preferably one which
could be repaired if you had to.

--
Bill, W6WRT

Alas, I did not follow the rule! I had an antique mantle clock that needed
a good cleaning. When I use Windex on the face, it completely removed all
the numbers and markings and an overall surface background that resembled a
satin finish. I had to have a clock maker repaint the face.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974