Old May 2nd 05, 12:28 AM

Default Cleaning Modern plastic cabinets?

Hi,
I had a dusty RF2200 that I cleaned off with a painters brush, but
there is a covering of grime that shows up under the right light. How
do I safely wash these modern plastic cabinets and leave a nice, deep
glow like the sets originally had? I can keep the washing solution away

from any problem areas, but don't quite know what to use to get the
desired affect. The RF2200 was dusted off because the dust gets into
the switches (like the SW1 switch) and eventually the switch fails.
Having cleaned all the switches, (the RF2200 is quite easy to work on)
the set works perfectly, but I'd like to get it looking great too. Any
help would be greatly appreciated.
rgds,
Mark S.

Old May 2nd 05, 02:45 AM
testortool

To clean all of my old electronic flea market finds, and there's been
hundreds over the years, I use either Simple Green or Greased Lightning
"Orange Blast". Both are available in the Wal-Mart automotive dept for a few
bucks. Spray on a soft cotton cloth, not on the cabinet directly, and
lightly rub. The grime will come right off. If you want a shine on the
cabinet after cleaning, wipe it down using Armor-All or some type of
vinyl/plastic/rubber protectant. Your RF2200 will shine like new after doing
this...

ups.com...

Old May 2nd 05, 06:27 PM
Bill Crocker

I use Windex on almost everything, and never had a problem. It cleans
everything! Keep in mind however, it's best to spot test.

Bill Crocker

Old May 4th 05, 02:05 PM
PowerHouse Communications

I second Windex... Very useful... Though I have used 409 before as well...
Windex is a "safer" chemical, however...

Old May 4th 05, 05:40 PM
Chris

Test Windex first, it wipes off lettering very quickly on several
radios. 73 Chris VE3NGW Florida

PowerHouse Communications wrote:

I second Windex... Very useful... Though I have used 409 before as well...
Windex is a "safer" chemical, however...

"Bill Crocker" wrote in message

I use Windex on almost everything, and never had a problem. It cleans
everything! Keep in mind however, it's best to spot test.

Bill Crocker

roups.com...

Old May 6th 05, 11:28 PM
PowerHouse Communications

Very strange... That's two replies about removing lettering... I must have
just been lucky to date, as I have never come across a problem with Windex
removing lettering... Is this more prominent on older equipment, or is
newer equipment equally trouble prone?

"Bill Turner" wrote in message
On Wed, 4 May 2005 08:05:35 -0500, "PowerHouse Communications"
wrote:

I second Windex... Very useful... Though I have used 409 before as

well...
Windex is a "safer" chemical, however...

If you need something a little stronger than Windex, but still safe for
plastics, try isopropyl alcohol (ordinary rubbing alcohol). I have
tested it extensively and have never found a plastic it will damage.

It may remove lettering, however, so be careful there.

--
Bill, W6WRT

Old May 7th 05, 02:06 AM
Chris

It will definetely remove Vintage stuff like Hallicrafters receiver
lettering, also some Johnson's Transmitters.
As for newer stuff some Icoms and Kenwoods. Always test it on the back
first and then some on the front.
Most manufacturers tell you to use mild soap and water. Then just water
to get the soap off.
If you want to know the best I found is a spray on Honda Motorcycle
Wax, leaves no mess and cleans too, I use it on everything, about $5
a can at any Motorcycle dealers, Great Stuff!!.
73 Chris, VE3NGW/W4 Florida

PowerHouse Communications wrote:

Very strange... That's two replies about removing lettering... I must have
just been lucky to date, as I have never come across a problem with Windex
removing lettering... Is this more prominent on older equipment, or is
newer equipment equally trouble prone?

.. .

________________________________________________ ___________

Old May 31st 05, 08:30 AM
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 07 May 2005 07:28:15a, Bill Turner wrote in rec.radio.swap:

On Fri, 6 May 2005 17:28:57 -0500, "PowerHouse Communications"
wrote:

Very strange... That's two replies about removing lettering... I must
have just been lucky to date, as I have never come across a problem with
Windex removing lettering... Is this more prominent on older equipment,
or is newer equipment equally trouble prone?

Modern equipment uses lettering which is silk-screened on with some
pretty tough inks. I've not had problems with anything made in the last
15-20 years or so. It's the really old equipment you need to be careful
with. Some of that stuff was printed with solvent-based ink and solvents
will take it right off.

The rule is to test an inconspicuous spot first, preferably one which
could be repaired if you had to.

--
Bill, W6WRT

Alas, I did not follow the rule! I had an antique mantle clock that needed
a good cleaning. When I use Windex on the face, it completely removed all
the numbers and markings and an overall surface background that resembled a
satin finish. I had to have a clock maker repaint the face.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974