Old June 2nd 05, 09:44 AM
Alun L. Palmer

"Bill Sohl" wrote in news:Uplle.10761$w21.10732
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

"gareth" wrote in message
"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

G1LVN wrote:
....to deregulation of Amateur Radio in the UK that is!
** From the country that brought you HF with no morse test
Complete deregulation -- Wireless Telegraphy Act excempt,
un-regulated, un-policed, un-enforced, free-for-all SHF/UHF/VHF/HF
bands within a 18,000 mile radius of London, England

The Ofcom proposal is published online at:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/cond...dio/aradio.pdf

Other than licensing for a lifetime rather a fixed interval, I don't
see Wireless Telegraphy Act license exemption as a desired
Ofcom proposal.

License exemption is addressed as an alternative but it is
immediately dismissed by Ofcom as impractical for
several reasons.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

That's 100% correct.

The subplot here is that the RSGB (now known by many of us as the RSCB)
originally got the idea that deregulation meant that they could take over
licensing and make loads of money. Instead, Ofcom are introducing a free
lifetime licence, and so the Soceity are trying to talk us all out of
saving the 15 pounds a year (US Dollars 27.29 at today's exchange rate
according to XE.com) because they want the money for themselves! I've never
been a member, and it isn't likely that I'll join anytime soon.

73 de Alun, G8VUK, N3KIP