Old May 26th 05, 08:28 PM
Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI

G1LVN wrote:
.....to deregulation of Amateur Radio in the UK that is!

*** From the country that brought you HF with no morse test --
Complete deregulation -- Wireless Telegraphy Act excempt,
un-regulated, un-policed, un-enforced, free-for-all SHF/UHF/VHF/HF
bands within a 18,000 mile radius of London, England

*** Have YOUR SAY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
----- JUST DO IT ----- (read on, click on the reply link below)

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static*/subs...iospectrum.htm

On 26th of May "OfCom" the UK's Radio Authority will issue a
consulation document on the future of Amateur Radio Licensing in the
UK. The consulation is open to all and will ask a number of questions
on options such as licence for life, de-regulation and:

"..options to make the (UK) amateur radio service WT Act
licence-exempt" [#1] - That's all amateur radio exempt from licensing
under the UK Wireless Telegraphy Act, it'll be a nightmare on the
bands, HF included.

Just so you do not miss this important event in world amateur radio,
add yourself to the mailing list he

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/static*/subs...iospectrum.htm

.....and HAVE YOUR SAY !!! You will be emailed on May 26th, immediately
the consulation is published. HAVE YOUR SAY !!! HAVE YOUR SAY !!! HAVE
YOUR SAY !!! HAVE YOUR SAY !!! HAVE YOUR SAY !!! HAVE YOUR SAY !!!

--73deG1LVN
in the meantime:
http://qsy.to/ChorleyFM

I've just received a reminder to renew my licence by 30 June, should I
wait and see if I can save £15? How many pints is that?
--
;-)
73 de Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI - mine's a pint.
Old May 26th 05, 10:08 PM
gareth

"Frank Turner-Smith G3VKI" wrote in message

I've just received a reminder to renew my licence by 30 June, should I
wait and see if I can save £15? How many pints is that?
--
;-)

September they'll announce the decision apparantly, but the current contract
with radio licencing has a bit to run after that

HTH

Old June 2nd 05, 09:44 AM
Alun L. Palmer

"Bill Sohl" wrote in news:Uplle.10761$w21.10732
@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

"gareth" wrote in message
"bb" wrote in message
oups.com...

G1LVN wrote:
....to deregulation of Amateur Radio in the UK that is!
** From the country that brought you HF with no morse test
Complete deregulation -- Wireless Telegraphy Act excempt,
un-regulated, un-policed, un-enforced, free-for-all SHF/UHF/VHF/HF
bands within a 18,000 mile radius of London, England

The Ofcom proposal is published online at:

http://www.ofcom.org.uk/consult/cond...dio/aradio.pdf

Other than licensing for a lifetime rather a fixed interval, I don't
see Wireless Telegraphy Act license exemption as a desired
Ofcom proposal.

License exemption is addressed as an alternative but it is
immediately dismissed by Ofcom as impractical for
several reasons.

Cheers,
Bill K2UNK

That's 100% correct.

The subplot here is that the RSGB (now known by many of us as the RSCB)
originally got the idea that deregulation meant that they could take over
licensing and make loads of money. Instead, Ofcom are introducing a free
lifetime licence, and so the Soceity are trying to talk us all out of
saving the 15 pounds a year (US Dollars 27.29 at today's exchange rate
according to XE.com) because they want the money for themselves! I've never
been a member, and it isn't likely that I'll join anytime soon.

73 de Alun, G8VUK, N3KIP