Old September 3rd 03, 11:03 PM
Cecil Moore

Roy Lewallen wrote:
Again, I welcome an alternate solution that accounts for all the
voltages, currents, and powers, including one that does it with rho 1.

It dawned on me, just now in the shower, what is happening here. When
you introduced the 'x' parameter, the distance from the load, you
introduced a 2-port network analysis, be it an s-, h-, y-, z-, or
whatever-parameter analysis. And of course there are four power
terms in a 2-port analysis. There a

1. The power reflected from the network input back toward the source. |s11|^2

2. The power transmitted through the network port toward the load. |s21|^2

3. The power re-reflected from the network output back toward the load. |s22|^2

4. The power transmitted through the network port toward the source. |s12|^2

These are the four powers you calculated and you consider only |s12|^2 to
be forward power. That is an error. |s22|^2 is also forward power. These
two forward power flow vectors have to be added to obtain the total
forward Poynting vector. I do believe that clears up the confusion.
--
73, Cecil http://www.qsl.net/w5dxp