Old June 7th 05, 07:56 AM
Alun L. Palmer

Aristotle wrote in
:

Most Indians speak very good English, at least in the cities, AFAIK.
I've never been to India, but all the Indians I've met elsewhere spoke
perfect English, albeit sometimes heavily accented. They have many
different languages and use English as a lingua franca to talk to other
Indians in their own country, so complete fluency is more the rule than
the exception.

I know that most Indians speak good English, and I have no problem
with their accent. But I had one once who apparently did not
understand English. It was as if he was reading from a script and was
expecting a certain answer back. It was VERY frustrating. Perhaps if
these call centers were a little more discriminating in who they
hired.

Reading from a script reminds me of encounters in various fast food places
that go something like this:-

Customer: I'd like a burger and fries please

Staff person: Would you like fries with that?

The moral is that you don't have to be ignorant of the language to be
reading from a script