Old June 22nd 05, 02:32 PM
John S.

I've used several of the Panasonic RF-2xxx series. My impression was
that the filter positions were best described as wide and wider with
outward curving skirts. They were useful in AM mode but were too wide
for ssb in the crowded ham bands. A good announcer on a shortwave
station in the clear sounds great in the wide position and pretty
darned good in narrow.

The downside to installing a narrow communications filter is that you
could compromise sound quality on AM broadcasts.

If it were me I would enjoy the 2200 for what it is and find a good
tabletop with better filters and the requisite stability to handle ssb.